PDA

View Full Version : ignition switch

Warren96
11-17-2019, 14:17
After replacing the switch, the steering shaft is no longer able to be bolted to its 2 large bolts under the dash. Further inspection shows that the switch is rubbing the bottom of the dash, and the 2 large nuts which used to hold the steering wheel shaft, no longer reach. It appears the shaft grew an inch or 2. I even looked at the position of the steering box to see if it moved.

JohnC
11-17-2019, 18:10
It appears the shaft grew an inch or 2.
I'm guessing you "uncollapsed" the collapsible steering shaft an inch or two.

Robyn
11-18-2019, 07:45
If memory serves...don't those have a plastic pin that keeps the collapsible part located correctly ?????

Some did in years past.

Did you just drop the column down to access the switch ???? or did you remove it from the rig.

If you dropped it down then it probably slipped a bit in the sliding section.

Is it too far towards the seat or the dash ?????

Warren96
12-08-2019, 10:07
I can finely see what the problem is.....as I was trying to remove the electrical switch, I distorted the '' IGNITION ROD''. It connects the'' LOCK CYLINDER'' to the switch. As I was removing the switch i was expecting resistance given the wire sizes we are dealing with, so apparently I gave it so much force that it's damaged beyond repair.
So this is where I am today! Does anyone have the part number,for this rod or maybe one just laying around in a junk pile?

Warren96
01-20-2020, 09:30
I was finally able to find one on amazon an AC Delco 26009737. Has anyone been able to install it without the entire steering column being totally apart ?