PDA

View Full Version : New Injection Pump- what's next?

surfbeetle
08-14-2003, 00:30
I have a 97 1500 suburban with 116,000 miles. I bought it used in August of 2002. I had the dealer run a history on it. Apparently, it had just got a new injection pump in June of 2002, at 105,000 miles just before I bought the car. It turns out that this was the 3rd pump (counting the original). Yesterday, I had to have it towed into the dealer because it was barely running. It only took four times of going to the shop with my complaints of poor running and acceleration before the damn computer finally tripped a code so the mechanic could justify a new pump. So now we will be going to pump number four. This should be under warranty. I have ordered an additional water separator to be installed before the stock fuel filter. What else can I do to prevent the pump from failing? Should I replace the injectors also? Also, who makes a good intercooler for these things? The next time it goes, the pump will mostly likely be on my dime considering that I have less then four thousand miles left on the warranty.

I sure wish that the bosch injector pumps would work on this damn thing. In eight years of owning my Cummins dodge, I have had less trouble with it than with one year of owning the suburban.

Scott D
08-14-2003, 10:16
Check out Kennedy Diesel for your needs: http://www.kennedydiesel.com/

He has FSD coolers which should greatly reduce the chance of your pump failing again. (I think he also has intercoolers.) Turbo Technology also has intercoolers. www.turbotechnologyinc.com (http://www.turbotechnologyinc.com)

I think new injectors would be a good idea at the mileage you have on the engine now.

Another thing that will help the life of the pump would be to use fuel additive such as the stuff that Stanadyne makes.

ucdavis
08-14-2003, 16:38
Also, it might not be the pump going out each of these times. Just the FSD might be bad. Also, if you're having trouble at these intervals, it could be lift pump, etc. I think a lot of the high-number-pump-replacements are (at least partially) failure of diagnosis as Stanadyne said in an early article on the DS4s.

surfbeetle
08-14-2003, 22:25
Thanks for the info. I should be getting the 'burb' back tomorrow. I will get the FSD cooler to start off with.

whatnot
08-15-2003, 09:09
If they go that quick, maybe you have real bad fuel in your area. It wouldn't hurt to add an extra fuel filter.

David Brady
08-15-2003, 11:51
After reading stuff in the duramax post I'm putting a CAT filter on soon, does anyone have a good recommendation for location or brackets?

Kidd
08-16-2003, 22:05
Surfbeetle.. glad you had good luck with your Cummins.. I got a 5.9 I use for driving an irrigation pump, runs great, except every 700 hours or so the blasted fuel shutoff solenoid quits.. costs me $279 CDN every time. With 4500 hours on the engine, is running on number 7 right now.. thats dang near 2 grand. Dealer doesn't even have to look up the number, just walks back and grabs the part. Says they sell a ton of them. Oh, they say no warranty on electrical parts. Next engine going to be a Cat.

K.D.

ucdavis
08-17-2003, 14:52
KD,
That's 240-400km equivalent run time. C$2k for parts in that time doesn't sound too outrageous if that's all the engine has taken to keep running well (outside of LOFs I assume). Maybe there's a cheaper part source mailorder?