PDA

View Full Version : 1996 6.5 diesel keeps stalling

Abram
12-21-2019, 11:22
Hey I have a 1996 6.5 gmc. Recently it started stalling while driving and often times I can fire it back up and soon it stalls again. And then all of a sudden I can’t start it anymore and after sittin overnight it’ll start back up again no problem and run fine for a bit and then soon the same thing happens again. I already replaced the fuel filter under the hood, which by the way was completely black so I figured that would be the problem but it didn’t solve anything. I’m stumped and not sure what the problem might be. Any input is appreciated.

JohnC
12-22-2019, 05:49
I'm sure others will chime in, but, on the surface, it sounds like a typical PMD failure.

arveetek
12-23-2019, 09:14
Yup, sounds like standard PMD / FSD failure. It's a little black box that was mounted on the side of the injection pump from the factory. If it's still in that location, you need to purchase a PMD, PMD extension harness, and a PMD remote mount to locate it in a cooler location.

On my 1995 model, I have a D-tech FSD mounted on an FSD cooler right in front of the driver's side battery where it receives air flow from a hole in the radiator support.

Search for PMD failure, and you'll find tons of info.

Casey