PDA

View Full Version : New lift pump

phantom309
01-26-2020, 07:41
I,ve been away from home working for a couple of months, as usual the list of problems to fix when i got home was getting long.
Our 1999 C2500 burb was running rough, low power,. Hard starts.
So like any well trained 6.5 owner the first thing i did was swap on another one of my new pmd's... no change. Now i was convinced it was air in fuel problem. I hot wired lift pump, hose into buckets to drain out some of the 20 gals of fuel so dropping tank would be easier,.the line into the bucket was bubbling like a fish tank aerator! line cracked right at bend into the tank. So i epoxied a new pickup into the sending unit, added complete rubber 3/8 fuel line all the way to the cat filter i hung on the firewall then to th ip,. Then new rubber return line to the tank. Sat back smugly figuring i had cured my problems!
Well almost,.....wouldn't start after 3-4 hrs with out excessive cranking till it got fuel up,.
Turns out the lift pump was letting fuel siphon back to the pump,. And was barely making 3 psi,.
I ordered an airtex E8153 from amazon,. Opened the box and a generic no name fuel pump in the box,. Hooked it to a battery,..dead!!!
Bitched to amazon,. The next 2 they sent together in the same box. For a no name brand pump they are very good! Lots of suction, lots of pressure burb is very smooth now and starts easily again! Pump was 48.00 delivered.

We'll see how long it lasts,. But i do have a spare!! 😊Thanks amazon.

phantom309
02-02-2020, 10:18
http://thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/picture.php?albumid=72&pictureid=428

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/picture.php?albumid=72&pictureid=433

Robyn
02-02-2020, 19:02
Looks great

trucknews
03-05-2020, 02:53
great, but Most pumps will supply a constant flow of fuel at steady pressure to the engine. Under low demand not all the fuel can be used by the engine, so a return to the tank has to be installed. Unused fuel is sent through a small hose back to the truck’s fuel fill neck to be recirculated in the tank.https://www.dieselworldmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/DW-1809-JW-3.png

Yukon6.2
03-05-2020, 09:51
The original fuel system has a return...

JohnC
03-05-2020, 13:17
The original fuel system has a return...

Yeah, and if you bypass it you're robbing the injection pump of its cooling system.

phantom309
03-15-2020, 08:40
great, but Most pumps will supply a constant flow of fuel at steady pressure to the engine
Thanks trucknews your first post is showing us all how much you care that we might have overlooked something thankyou and welcome to the forum.

A little more research on your part is need tho to fully understand all the parts and pieces in the 6.5 fuel system before you add to a conversation.
Maybe hang out for a while and see which members have daily drivers and wrench on them,.
I've had 6.5's for quite a while now and living in the rust belt has given me some experience that other members living in the fair weather parts don't experience on a regular basis,.