PDA

View Full Version : Broken Transmission Filler Tube

sunriver05
04-05-2020, 11:15
First Post -Newly Purchased 1992 3500 - just turned over to 100,000 miles.
Was smoking a little , put new Air filter in and added some Diesel Extreme Injector additive (after I filled it up) Made a HUGE improvement, no smoke.
Two Questions- Advice on if I can replace filler tube, broke off where it is connected to the block, about a foot up from entry into transmission. Sure hard to get your hands up there. Lastly, Engine sure is a dog, (compared to myold gas 454). Up at 8000 feet altitude.. any performance adjustments?

Robyn
04-05-2020, 14:23
Welcome to TDP

The filler tube slips up out of the tranny.....remove the bolt that held the old one to the block and remove the old tube.

Slide in a good tube from similar rig (used) or replace with a new tube.
Replace the rubber seal or O ring DEPENDING ON WHAT WAS IN THERE...

Is this a 6.5 Turbo or a 6.2 engine????

The 6.5 turbo should be fair in the power dept if the turbo is operating properly

The 6.2 N/A engine is going to be a bit of a slug at that altitude

Let us know...

JohnC
04-06-2020, 07:48
The 6.2 N/A engine is going to be a bit of a slug at that altitude

Robyn - Master of the Understatement.

Robyn
04-07-2020, 06:48
John

I was being polite

The 6.2 NA at 5000 ft is a real Turd...I can't imagine adding another 3K to the "Turdism" GOAP oh yess

Even a good running 6.5 turbo is no barn burner at 8K

sunriver05
04-10-2020, 10:29
AAh, So if I can get something around the broken tube, and manage to disconnect it where its still mounted to the block, with some force, it should just pull out. Gotcha I will order a new one.

The 6.2 is N/A

Just loaded a 11 ft Lance Camper on it. An old Rig and old Camper, no rush to go anywhere too fast.

Thanks for your help.

Robyn
04-13-2020, 10:10
The tranny tube is just a slip fit into the tranny case.
Some used a single O ring on the tube in a groove, and others had a special multi ring rubber gizmo with a flange on the top that pushed into the tranny and the tube slipped into that.