PDA

View Full Version : Think I located the groan under my hood

TurboDiverArt
09-18-2004, 17:44
Well after noticing a groan developing under the hood a few months back I think I finally figured out what it is. Using a stethoscope I listened to everything. First I pulled the serpentine belt to see if the sound went away. I was really worried that the groan was coming from either the injection pump or the timing chain. Pulling the belt and the sound went away. That's good, nothing internal.

Anyway, using the stethoscope I was able to narrow the sound down to the A/C compressor. Sound is loudest at the compressor or any one of the lines. Oh well! Sound doesn't change regardless if the compressor is engaged or not. I assume it's the clutch and not the actual compressor. Clutch is about $225 and a whole remanufactured compressor with clutch is either $200 or $350 depending on the quality that you want.

Oh well, looks like I'm eventually going to need a repair. A/C still works so not critical yet.

Art.

WhiteGMC
09-18-2004, 23:14
Art,
Check your pulley on the crank shaft. It gets louder and louder. like someone said check the bolt head spaceing should all be the same.

Jerry

rjwest
09-19-2004, 04:36
The bearing can be changed , if that is the problem.
NAPA should have a bearing, on my 93 gasser it was the same as an alternator bearing. Did the repair without taking it off the engine. Need the Nut puller tool though. cheap, but only good for 1-2 jobs.

My 96 6.5l also failed, Rivet broke and droped clutch asm down, It jamed and made a real mess . may want to inspect the clutch asm..

rjschoolcraft
09-19-2004, 04:42
I second WhiteGMC's comment... Check the crank pulley! I changed two PS pumps before I figured out the pulley was bad. Do a search and you'll find where I posted pictures of my failed pulley.

TurboDiverArt
09-19-2004, 04:42
Yeah I hear ya. My buddy

TurboDiverArt
09-19-2004, 05:09
Originally posted by ronniejoe:
I second WhiteGMC's comment... Check the crank pulley! I changed two PS pumps before I figured out the pulley was bad. Do a search and you'll find where I posted pictures of my failed pulley. I was literally just there yesterday... I installed an aux transmission cooler and had everything apart and was staring at the pulley and inspecting the balancer. I could have checked the torque and pulley at the same time.

Art.

TurboDiverArt
09-19-2004, 05:45
Ron,

I did a search on pulley failure. I didn

rjschoolcraft
09-19-2004, 08:47
Here is the thread that I was referring to. (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006887)

TurboDiverArt
09-19-2004, 16:56
That's a great link. I'm going to have to check out my pulley as soon as possible. No weird noises that I would think would be this but it doesn't cost anything but time to check it out. Checking for non-centered bolts is a simple and easy check to perform.

Thanks,
Art.

TurboDiverArt
09-21-2004, 17:57
Hey Ron,

Checked my pulley tonight. The bolts are right in the middle of the spokes and the safety catch tabs are not touching anything. I think the pulley is OK. Still going to plan on replacing it when I replace the HB, timing chain, water pump, etc.

Thanks for the help!

Art.