PDA

View Full Version : changing to newer style water pump

Jim P
09-08-2003, 18:26
My 95 truck is starting to leak a little coolant on the ground. It is running down the lower radiator hose and I can't really see it but I assume it is the water pump that is leaking. I tried tightening the lower hose clamp but that didn't help.

If I buy a new water pump for a like a 97 will it fit on my truck without changing the coolant crossover or the fan? I eventually want to do all of the cooling system mods but I thought maybe I could get away with just the waterpump for now.

Jim P

catmandoo
09-08-2003, 20:01
funny you should mention that my water pump just went south on me today and i went to my gm parts house and got a pump for my 92 and while i was there checked out the high output 98 pump and they are identical except for the impeller which is maybe a 1/4 inch bigger than mine and they wanted another 75 bucks for it so i said to hell with that as mine has never got over 180 and i don't tow much figure i can get by without it.

damork
09-11-2003, 09:39
Jim P
There is some concern about pressure build up or failing block soft plugs when using the HO water pump with the singler thermostat housing. With the flow potential of the new pump, there is a potential for trouble, but some have done it.

I did the timing gears, HO pump and housing all at once after collecting parts for a while.