PDA

View Full Version : Most miles from a dual-mass flywheel

C.K. Piquup
05-22-2004, 13:48
Subject should read:Most miles from dual-mass flywheel/if you`re not sure if you have one you`re lucky.One truck gave 200,000,the other gave 126,000mi.They`re both converted to solid(single-mass)flywheel now.

lineman
05-24-2004, 09:27
CK,Mine went out at about 120,000 miles.I replaced it with a solid unit.With my truck being a 4WD, it wasn't a fun thing to do. Lineman

Turbo Al
05-25-2004, 12:56
I have one with 100,000 miles on it and it is good as new according to trans shop, the other is in the truck now (aftermarket) and has about 80,000 miles on it no problems so far.
Al

C.K. Piquup
05-26-2004, 02:39
My latest failed one(130,000mi.)had a section of the outer band missing(1/4 of dia.)and the center section in front is split/cracked where it rolls-in to mating surface.Where it`s not cracked on the raised surface,it is cracked on the inner/depressed surface.Also,in that inner area,it was starting to peel-out(sardine can style).There`s a groove on the input shaft where the throw-out bearing rides on wy 12,000mi.crate NV4500.None of these pieces were found in the bell-housing area,only grindings.The DMF looked fine 6,500 mi,ago when I spent nearly $10,000 installing crate motor and fuel system/turbo.I wish better luck to everyone else driving a vehicle with one of these.I want to add,This truck is my baby.It is the primary workhorse in my business.I have a family to feed and I don`t hot rod or 4wheel it.I bought it in`98 for $16,000 and have put another $25,000 into it. It`s nice,I love it,other people love it(even Ford Guys),and I plan on keeping it as long as I can.Nothing in the way I treat this truck contributed to the DMF failure.BEWARE.The good news:even with a catastrophic failure like this,the DMF and clutch are the only things needing replaced.So there`s no need to run out and change it out until that fateful day.My other truck went close to 200.000mi.before needing replaced.Good Luck. CK

C.K. Piquup
05-26-2004, 16:24
I remembered today something about the`92 that got about 200,000mi.on DMF,it didn`t.At 80,000mi.,under warranty,I had the clutch replaced.It still chattered and felt the same as before the new clutch.I asked the dealer if they turned the flywheel.The answer was no,it can`t be done on these trucks.They said there was no provision for adjustment.I said,"Then I guess you`ll have to replace the flywheel".Once again it went in the shop,got another new clutch and flywheel.The odd thing is,I was not charged for the clutch either time(clutches aren`t covered under warranty,right?).This was all before I knew what a DMF was.So anyway,it only went about 120,000mi.,like the`95.