PDA

View Full Version : Moved FSD & Heat Sink to Wheelwell

DA BIG ONE
05-23-2004, 06:30
Here in the sub-tropics "heat" is the problem!

After 3 months my new FSD w/remote heatsink mounted above the drivers side wheelwell in the engine bay is acting up on hot restart. I moved it to the outside of the same wheelwell and now it works fine never getting more than luke warm under all conditions.

Exposure is now a concern, I sealed the FSD, connector, w/silicone sealant then placed a thin sheet of aluminum between the unit and the tire to eliminate damage from things being thrown up by the tire, but now wonder if I am asking for trouble down the road with this setup?

I am now thinking placing it in the air intake area of the fender so air is drawn over the heatsink whenever the motor is running. Anyone ever try this, or am I pis___ up a rope here?

a5150nut
05-23-2004, 11:00
On my old 94 I was able to get it in between the left battery and headlite. One hole was already there with a nut clip in it. All I had to do to my heat sink was grind off one fin to allow it to fit the existing hole. It's been staying cool there. At least to the touch. I added a couple holes through the wall behind the headlite to let a little air hit the cooler direct.

eracers999
05-23-2004, 19:08
On my 94 i mounted mine behind the bumper in the cut out to the left of the licence plate mounted to a big heat sink out of an old stereo. I have the same results as where yours is mounted. Never really any warmer than ambient air temp. I just cant figure out why somone would try to cool a FSD, mounted in the engine bay. Would be like cooling your radiator with a blast furnace.
Kent

DA BIG ONE
05-24-2004, 04:45
Spent many hours installing it in the air intake area between the fender and engine bay, after driving for about 1 hour the temps were elevated.

So, I put it back outside the engine bay in the drivers side wheel well and installed a splash shield between it and the tire, it stays very cool indeed.

CleviteKid
05-24-2004, 04:58
If you put a PAIR of big stereo amp heatsinks on TOP of the hood, one on each side, and put your working FSD on one, and your spare on the other, they would stay nice and cool, as well as giving your truck that Mel Gibson "Road Warrior" ambiance and chachet.

The Clevite Kid tongue.gif

Schuylkill-trans
05-24-2004, 06:36
I have 16 of these 3500 cutaways.Where do you get the wire harness to remotely mount the FSD or do you just add wire to make your own.

DA BIG ONE
05-24-2004, 08:53
Originally posted by Schuylkill trans:
I have 16 of these 3500 cutaways.Where do you get the wire harness to remotely mount the FSD or do you just add wire to make your own. KENNEDY'S extended harness worked in both cases, found it even has enough slack in case of motor mount failure!

DA BIG ONE
05-24-2004, 08:55
Originally posted by CleviteKid:
If you put a PAIR of big stereo amp heatsinks on TOP of the hood, one on each side, and put your working FSD on one, and your spare on the other, they would stay nice and cool, as well as giving your truck that Mel Gibson "Road Warrior" ambiance and chachet.

The Clevite Kid tongue.gif "cute", however it seems nowadays anything goes!

CleviteKid
05-24-2004, 14:04
Da Big One:

My mistake, I was thinking Palm Beach COUNTY, but maybe you live across the intercostal in the actual town of Palm Beach. Having been there on some legal cases, I know there would not be much tolerance for a Road Warrior machine in with the Bentleys and the Jaguars and the Maybachs.

My apologies, Dr. Lee :cool:

PS: They would not let me in with my truck; I had to drive the Maxima. ;)

DA BIG ONE
05-25-2004, 04:33
Originally posted by CleviteKid:
Da Big One:

My mistake, I was thinking Palm Beach COUNTY, but maybe you live across the intercostal in the actual town of Palm Beach. Having been there on some legal cases, I know there would not be much tolerance for a Road Warrior machine in with the Bentleys and the Jaguars and the Maybachs.

My apologies, Dr. Lee :cool:

PS: They would not let me in with my truck; I had to drive the Maxima. ;) I am not offended, so no apology needed.

From what I can see of the pictures of your rig it is cherry.

Along with my 99 burb I own older cars (1) 87 Z-28/IROC, (3) 89 780 Turbo+ Volvos, (1) 90 780 Turbo+ Volvo.

Legal cases? You a PI, or?

spra01
05-25-2004, 06:54
I mounted my existing FSD (that was causing stalling while mounted on the pump)on a homemade cooler behind the bumper just inside one of the cutouts on my 94,
I'm long past any warranty so I just soldered in a 6' extension to the harness.
Just moved it this weekend so too soon to say if it's effective.

CleviteKid
05-25-2004, 17:09
Re: Legal cases - When I am doing my day-job I am a consulting engineer specializing in Failure Analysis, and sometimes testify in court about my technical findings. Google me for more information.

Dr. Lee :cool:

C.K. Piquup
05-26-2004, 16:35
I`ve heard tell of people mounting FSDs in the interior to let the a/c do the job,cool/dry place.The interior takes a while to heat-up after shut-down.By the time it`s hot,it doesn`t matter.Doesn`t take long to cool-off once vehicle is running.

Black95TD
05-27-2004, 03:37
No one mentioned the Heath setup. I have 60K on my pump mounted driver and it still works well. Leaving it there until I hit 120K sort of hopeing it fails. The Heath setup sounds reasonable - below the heat. I wonder about splash from all the road salt and slush up here in CT.

Any thoughts about this setup?