PDA

View Full Version : Starts then dies with "check gauges" light, now runs fine

izak
09-19-2004, 17:22
I drove 4 hours away from home Fri. Saturday morning the truck started acting up. It would start, run for about 5 seconds, and then die. The check guages light was on but no MIL. Drove about a mile (5 seconds at a time) because I had to get the boat to the ramp for a commitment. After putting the boat in, it seemed to run okay (but then again I WAS trying to make it out of the water and into a spot in 5 seconds flat). Left it overnight and then used it all day today without incident.

Any ideas on what it might be? What kind of parts should I always carry as a backup?

markrinker
09-19-2004, 18:42
FSD or IP. Probably FSD as it started when you were towing a load, creating more heat under the hood. The fact that it 'recovered' and ran all day today (unloaded, right?) supports my theory that the IP is still functional.

izak
09-20-2004, 04:42
The trailer is pretty light, the boat is just a skiff with a 9hp motor. I used it at 6:30a @ Caddo lake to run pick up a canoe (towing the light trailer) without incident. That took about 30min. Then it sat for 2 hours and thats when it started misbehaving. Maybe it is time for a FSD & remote mount. From reading in the forum, I know it's just a matter of time..

charliepeterson
09-20-2004, 18:50
On my truck when the check guages light comes on it's telling me to look at the coolant temp, charging voltage or oil pressure.

I would look at the oil pressure switch. This switch has two functions. First goes to the dash guage, second goes to the lift pump under the driver's seat. The circuit going to the lift pump is 99% of the problem.

Last Spring I replaced my OPS and lift pump. A few weeks later the lift pump seized up not letting enough fuel through. The truck stalled, restarted then stalled again. This went on for the last few miles to my house. The next day it seemed to work OK. After replacing the lift pump again I've had no problems. Both pumps were AC Delco.

izak
09-20-2004, 19:31
Thanks for all the info.

It stalled again tonight after some light use. The guys at hpdofntx.com said they recommend replacing the lift pump at 70k. I have 85K. Since that fixed yours I might as well do the OPS/Lift pump and see what happens, then try the more expensive stuff. I forgot to mention that I tried revving the engine one of the times it stalled before and it still cut out. Dont know if that reduces the number of suspects.

The troubleshooting guide on this site mentions a shutoff solenoid. Anybody know if that applies to my 99 tahoe?

charliepeterson
09-21-2004, 18:32
Sure it could be related but unlikely yet. Try the lift pump circuit first. Take a look at the fuel filter after you replace the lift pump. A new/working lift pump makes changing the filter easier for bleeding the air out.