PDA

View Full Version : engine specs

staley52
10-16-2004, 15:23
I some what inexspirianced with building diesels and may need to build one soon, I have a chance to have a 1994 LD2500 z71 basicly given to me that was ran out of oil and so I would like to know what should I look for as far as a block, heads, crank, etc etc
also what internal mods besides low comp pistons and head studs should I add I want to have a strong reliable truck when I get done
I will be financing the engine/trans rebuild insted of the truck and how much do you think parts cost will be I will do all labor but the machine work

patrick m.
10-16-2004, 16:49
i would say by the time you are finnished with the eng and trans you will have spent about $8,000.
that is if you are going to build a new eng with all of the "last long", and "run strong" stuff availible.

Dvldog 8793
10-16-2004, 17:12
Howdy
Something to maybe consider is a AM General Long block( Goodwrench also) I just did mine and the price of the motor was $6200.00 I ended up with about $700 in other misc stuff (water pump, new hoses, cables, ect...) that I replaced. I did all the labor and it wasn't that bad. The only things that I had to pay for was final timing set and recharge of the AC. I got my block from a dealer friend and thats why it was relatively cheap. Also has the 3yr/50,000 mile warrenty. I would get in touch with John Kennedy and see what he can do for you. I would stay away from the EBAY rebuilds. Make sure whatever you get is new block with Navistar logo in the valley.
Have fun !
Sounds like you got a good deal!
L8r
Conley Janssen