PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Depot 6.5

sidedump
05-23-2004, 19:30
My 1992 6.5t is at Avant with a cracked block. What do I want them to do?
I'm wishing for 300 horse.
Any bright ideas or testomonials?
I haven't followed the Page for a while, so I am behind the times.

tanker
05-24-2004, 01:36
I would see how deep your pockets are first. :D I would have it balanced, then possibly 18:1 ceramic coated pistons, gear drive, heads ceramic coated, ports matched, etc. The skys the limit, but first should come reliability.
Don't forget cooling modifications, dual thermostats, high capacity water pump, new radiator, (if original) new hoses, and belt. ;)

C.K. Piquup
05-24-2004, 01:38
Ask them.Just tell Avant what you`re looking for,they`ll give you all the options.Definitely go for ceramic-coated CCs,balanced rotating assembly,and port matched heads(intake&exhaust).Get the exhaust manifold coated,too.Check out what the Clevite Kid did on his NA.It`s all good for the TD.Spend and enjoy(better than new)CK

sidedump
05-24-2004, 12:31
I know I will put a stud girtle kit on. My old block cracked on the webbing.
Bennie told me they have a cam now. Said go for it. I'm waiting for an estimate now. I plan on going out there to watch the work be done.

patrick m.
05-25-2004, 15:38
CAM!!!! any details?

CleviteKid
05-25-2004, 17:02
Call Benny, he likes to talk about his adventures in diesel power. He wants me to bring my truck back up to Georgia, slip a new cam in the SAA, and have me test it and write it up. Any interest?

Dr. Lee :D

AndyL
05-25-2004, 17:09
Originally posted by CleviteKid:
Any interest?

Dr. Lee :D Yes, please do. It would be nice to see before and after Dyno results as well as EGT readings (some of the Cummins CAMs claim a 150 to 300* drop).

A TD test would be great also.

C.K. Piquup
05-26-2004, 02:04
Very interested!I was trying to get info on the practicality of changing cam dynamics awhile back,and was shot down on clearance issues.This news brings new hope.

moondoggie
05-26-2004, 05:57
Good Day!

Dr. Lee: Any interest? We'll pretend you didn't ask this question. I'll stick my neck out & say I think it's fairly safe to assume that a major portion of the Members would be EXTREMELY grateful to hear about this if you do it. :D Please make it an article, or in some way assure that it can't be missed by us Members. (You are having WAY too much fun! ;) )

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

matthew_fistler
05-26-2004, 07:25
Is there an easy to reach the guys/gals at the diesel depot? I have tried calling several times with no answer. Has the number for the diesel depot changed??

I am looking at either a pennisular or see what the diesel depot can do for me.

Peter J. Bierman
05-26-2004, 13:34
I'll have the cam in the TTD engine next winter.
This one was developped for turbo applications according to Jamie.

As soon as I have my shopping list done I'll order it :D

Peter

tom.mcinerney
05-26-2004, 19:04
Sidedump:

Scrap the cracked block. Then, enjoy!

sidedump
05-26-2004, 19:35
In case your guys wonder Sidedump came from my rock hauling days. Seems I dumped my load of rock the wrong way.
Price given on the cam is $140.
The price to say I have a Diesel Depot under my hood will be just over $7000. BUT, that is for the whole enchilada. That's right figures around 400hp.
E-mail is the best way to get your questions answered. Bennie is usually out in the yard. Away from the phone.

AndyL
05-27-2004, 02:52
Originally posted by sidedump:
That's right figures around 400hp.
Wow, could you outline what it takes to get to 400?

CleviteKid
05-27-2004, 04:04
400HP:

1. Lots of fuel

2. Lots of air (or Nitrous) so the fuel can burn

3. Wide open exhaust

4. Strong block, strong heads, excellent head gaskets

5. Perfect assembly of all the parts

6. The courage to step hard on the GO-pedal

7. The money to pay for it.

The Clevite Kid ;)

AndyL
05-27-2004, 06:56
Originally posted by CleviteKid:
400HP:

1. Lots of fuel

The Clevite Kid ;) ~120mm^3?

Can a DB2 or DS4 come close?

sidedump
05-27-2004, 07:47
I'm sure it can be done but for how long? I don't think my wallet wants to find out. Long life is the key here. This engine will will book higher than the loan value on the truck. Did I mention I love my very understanding wife.

GARY PAGE
05-27-2004, 18:21
Well I had an Avant engine built about 16 moths ago. The first engine was DOA with a crack in #8 wall after install, flex plate was wrong as well and the engine was balanced with it. They did well and picked up the truck and installed another, 400 mile trip for them, before I could pick it up they had another failure in #8 and put in a 3rd engine, Cleveite Kid got involved, thanks. The 3rd one seems to be OK, but they seemed to some how forget to install the stud girdle I paid for who know what else and wanted to extend the warranty in exchange. I had them install a new pump and the FSD failed 4 months in and screws were backing out of the plates. They said they would take care of it and Jamie said he was going to call his pump man and provide answers as to why the crew were backing out; but never did. My trip to the DP was much different than the Doctors it was a dirty shop with old machine equipment to say the least in an abandoned technical school with little or no supervision by Jamie or Bennie. Bennie means well and this will probably get me kicked off the DP but it

sidedump
05-27-2004, 19:23
Sorry to hear that Mr. Page. I doubt you will be removed from the DP. A bad experiense is how we all got here.
I actually sent Bennie my engine almost a year ago. My dad got real sick and I had to spend the money elsewhere. Bennie was nice enough to crate up my engine and put it aside until I had the money. Not very many people will do that. I even offered to pay for shipping Bennie said not to worry.
Seems fairly common for the #8 web to crack. This is what happened to my block 3000mi. after I replaced the turbo.
I just e-mailed Jamie today to see if the price is a new or used block.

AndyL
05-28-2004, 04:06
For the price it seems the newer AMG longblocks are the way to go. You get all of the enhancements and shouldn't ever have to worry about mains, #8s or heads cracking.