PDA

View Full Version : Help,power steering flood !

Warren96
10-01-2020, 11:07
Has any one come across, a power steering leak in your 6.5 ?

sctrailrider
10-01-2020, 11:37
Lines do burst, their is a cooler for the p/s as well....

56pan
10-01-2020, 18:46
Shaft seal started leaking on my pump. It was only 25 yrs. old. GM crap. No problem to replace the seal if you borrow the tool to pull the pulley from Autozone, etc.

Warren96
10-03-2020, 13:07
Thanks for your replies!! It looks like the cover rusted thru in three pinholes along the bottom .I was only able to find it with dye, and yellow glasses. Has anyone repaird the cover with epoxy or solder? I tried epoxy along the bottom but the holes keep weeping fluid.

sctrailrider
10-04-2020, 16:59
You can try and patch it, I would think a new one would last longer than a patched up rotten pump would...

Warren96
10-28-2020, 14:48
You can try and patch it, I would think a new one would last longer than a patched up rotten pump would...

Now i see the replacement pump has only 2 places to connect the lines , where the original had 3. Do the 2 return lines get spliced together before they are fastened to the pump?

DmaxMaverick
10-28-2020, 17:02
You got a pump for a gasser, which has vacuum brake assist and no need for the additional return port. The pumps may or may not be the same otherwise, so I'd be very cautious using it. The pump demand is significantly greater with brake assist and power steering, vs. power steering alone. Unless you can verify the pumps are the same, the replacement you have shouldn't be used, even if it fits perfectly. If they the same, the returns can be Tee'd. However, if it didn't come out of the box with that accommodation, I'd strongly suspect it is simply the wrong pump.

Warren96
12-16-2020, 09:27
Thanks for your replies!! It looks like the cover rusted thru in three pinholes along the bottom .I was only able to find it with dye, and yellow glasses. Has anyone repaird the cover with epoxy or solder? I tried epoxy along the bottom but the holes keep weeping fluid.

Now that the pump is on the bench i can see that the shaft is also leaking.I also verified with the store and the factory that it is made for my truck.I would like to thank everyone who was kind enough to offer suggestions, they where a BIG help.