PDA

View Full Version : Using a cleaner in the oil...

spongebob
10-10-2020, 16:32
I’m going on a 9 hour trip soon..I have 400,500 miles on a stock engine....what would be the pro’s and con’s on adding a engine cleaner in the oil for that trip and changing the oil at the destination. I use Amzoil.

Thoughts??

JohnC
10-10-2020, 17:49
I personally would not add anything that dilutes the oil and then go on a long trip...

DmaxMaverick
10-10-2020, 18:21
If you've been using Amsoil, or any high quality synthetic, of the proper grade and weight, you've never had overheat episodes, and you've been diligent with service intervals, I say no. It simply won't be of any benefit. The high-miler's I've been inside of were fairly clean, very much unlike the 100K mile engines of old. Most "cleaners" recommend driving 100-200 miles before changing it out, so a "long" trip may be too far/long. At most, I'd add the cleaner at the last 100 miles of the trip, then change it, if you're set on using it. I don't think it would hurt anything, but the benefit may not outweigh the inconvenience and mess.

spongebob
10-11-2020, 09:44
O’tay..not doing it...thanks

More Power
10-28-2020, 14:06
Back in the 1960s when I began wrenching on my "cars of many colors" (red fender, yellow hood, black top, etc), seemed like every engine I worked on had a buildup of scum inside... layered inside the valve covers, all around the valve train and a thick layer of muck in the oil pan.

Nowadays, thanks to modern engine oil, that just doesn't happen in a reasonably well serviced diesel engine. They stay really clean.

a5150nut
10-29-2020, 08:01
Might be the cleaner burning and less gas washing the cylinders into the pan has something to do with it too.