PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate 506 block? Possible?

2INSANE
10-24-2020, 17:22
So I got this good running 1995 6.5 turbo diesel motor I pulled out of a truck from a junk yard. 214,000 miles and runs great. However apon the first start up, it had a ticking noise followed by a thumping noise from intake and when motor warmed up, the sound forever went away after running it a few dozen times. Injectors or lifters?

Anyhow. So, if I were to open it up and it was crack free across the board...

Could it be modified to be a bomb proof motor? Let’s just say... 18:1, porting, shaving and grinding all sharp edges inside the block, etc... Can this motor be built to handle say... 30 psi? Imagining no worry for costs... All this newer technology and a plethora of upgrades... Could it compete with a Duramax? Could it live another 200+k?

Could it become phenomenal cosmic power???

Yukon6.2
10-25-2020, 10:19
The big question is how much power can your wallet produce?
I doubt that even with unlimited funds the 6.5 will not be a Dmax slayer.
I personally love the 6.2/6.5 for what they are.Cheap and easy to keep running.Cheap on fuel.And reliable if you don't try to hot rod it.

Robyn
10-25-2020, 10:34
The answer is....SORT OF

The 6.5 can never...NEVER handle 30 PSI and live.

12-15 psi max is gonna be the limits of what the design can handle.

1000 F EGT at the ports or around 900 F at the outlet of the LH exhaust manifold at the Xover pipe......

The precup head design and the number of head bolts and the gasket configuration just will not hold onto the big pressure numbers.

An 18:1 set up may handle 15- 18 psi safely.......The big issue when you go beyond the 12-15 psi is FOR HOW LONG