PDA

View Full Version : Straight pipe

eracers999
05-24-2004, 16:23
Well, im one of the guys that said i like it quiet and i did a lot of mods to this thing and the one i never got to was the exhaust. Yes thats right 3inch into muffler and 2.500 out thru the tail pipe. I do over maintenece on everything and today i was under the truck as i am weekly and noticed the tail pipe nearly broke away from the muffler. I have been secretly trying to find a muffler that satisfied me but i just hadent got to it, i never considered a straight pipe because my 84 6.2 sounded like a old garbage wagon when the exhaust came off it. So i dropped every thing and got out the sawsall and cut the muffler out and started it. I was very surprised that it didnt sound anything like the 6.2 . So i figuered i would try the straight pipe ( can always add a muffler ) i measured how much longer i needed and one other change and went to a exhaust shop and had a 3in aluminized pipe made up, put it all on and it actually sounds pretty decent, i can live with it. Ive only drove it a little bit and i can tell the exhaust temps are down and the boost is instant. If any one is interested i will post detailed results when i get back under the trialer on thursday. That is where the truck is at 90% of the time anyway. The other part of why im so thrilled is because the guy only charged me 25 bucks to make the pipe. Kent

sidedump
05-24-2004, 17:10
Not bad given the price of steel being up 200%.

catmandoo
05-24-2004, 17:38
they are actually alot quieter then the n/a engines,don't have near the bark.the turbo must compress the pulses to a mild roar.makes em sound like tractors,i like it.

G. Gearloose
05-25-2004, 02:31
A Banks 6.2 has much more bark with a straight pipe than a 6.5 TD straight piped, that little GM turbo really corks the sound, both are streetable. An NA 6.2 is a different league altogether.

wthif
05-25-2004, 07:46
My truck with just a down pipe coming out right next to the front leaf springs can be deafening at times and at idle the truck sounds like a gasser with a rough idle cam in it. The cops also give a real close look at me each time I drive by. I think they are just looking for another reason to pull me over. Though a lot of people stick there head up and look around when they hear the turbo and see my old truck. I'm getting ready to install the rest of my exhaust system and there will be a electric cut out so I can easily go to a straight pipe. :D

eracers999
06-06-2004, 05:46
Well since this post started here is what i have noticed with the straight pipe mod. Besides really liking the sound, i have picked up on average about 8 psi more in oil pressure. The boost gauge will see 16 before it spazzes out and cuts it back, before 14.5 was the highest. I really have to work it hard to get the post turbo exh temp over 650. Engine temp noticably more stable. This last one is pretty interesting, i have routed my blo by hose out of the intake to under the truck, its been that way for a long time so i have gotten a good look at what comes out. Since the straight pipe that blo by has been cut in 1/2.
Kent

catmandoo
06-06-2004, 06:12
man thats what i like to hear, plus that awesome turbo whine.i can hear mine in my truck with the windows up just before i grab the next gear and from 3rd to 4th it take a little longer to shift and man she sounds nice,i swear sometimes it sounds like its gonna rip the pipe in half.

Jim P
06-06-2004, 08:31
I have been running a 4" vertical straight pipe since winter. Empty it sounds real good but when I hook my 5er on, it makes enough noise to wake the dead.

I went to summit racing and bought a dynomax 4" muffler. It is only about 15" long and about 5" in diameter. You can see right through it. It just has small holes in the 4" pipe and it is packed with fiberglass between the 4" and 5" dia pipes. It cost me 35.00. It still has the same sound at low rpms but it did quite down the real loud roar at higher rpms. I love it, you kind of get the best of both worlds.