PDA

View Full Version : New Starter?

victor50
01-16-2021, 17:02
Does anyone make new starters for the 6.5 or just rebuilt? What's the best performing starter out their? Thanks

DmaxMaverick
01-16-2021, 17:51
The best starter is yours, refreshed by a local, reputable shop. If done right, it should be the last starter you'll ever need.

Robyn
01-16-2021, 18:48
A rebuilt DONE CORRECTLY is a winner
I agree with DMAX

sctrailrider
01-17-2021, 05:32
Powermaster 9052 is hard to beat, lifetime rebuilds if ever needed... I've used most all over the years and found the powermaster a few years ago and nothing compares for me... most rebuild places are using cheaper off shore parts to cut costs...

walbright
01-20-2021, 11:29
+1 for the Powermaster. I put one in about 6 months ago. Not only does it work great, it just sounds more powerful than any of my previous starters in any vehicle. Plus it has the added bonus of (IMO anyway) better locations for the electrical connections, making it easier to hook up. Normally I remove the inner fender to replace the starter, which is the recommended procedure due to it being difficult to access everything; but now that I have the powermaster, I'm pretty sure I can replace it without doing that in the future due to where the terminals are located.

56pan
01-21-2021, 06:29
Is the Powermaster shorter and lighter so you don't use the front starter mount bracket?

sctrailrider
01-21-2021, 06:59
No, use same bolts and bracket.

victor50
02-06-2021, 18:29
No, use same bolts and bracket.

I tried a power master but it sounded like it was taking teeth off flywheel when it disengaged. Sent back to powermaster and they said I had low voltage. And a little oil in it. I don't think so. Said they'd re b
Rebuild for138.00. 4 month old starter. Ended up with a new delco from Rock Auto. Works and sounds great. I also have a powermaster on another truck and it's outstanding. Go figure!!

mjgrisaffi
06-21-2021, 19:19
I'm installing a Powermaster 9052 on my 1999 K2500 Suburban with automatic transmission. The starter does not have a nosecone but is supposed to work with either manual or automatic transmission. However when I get the starter in position, there is a gap between the starter and the bell housing of the transmission. Is this normal? Or might I have the wrong starter? Or am I supposed to just run it with the gap?

Yukon6.2
06-22-2021, 09:10
Hi and Welcome
add some pictures to your post please,we all like pictures.Pictures of the starter,and installed
I personally have never head of a starter without a nosecone.

Robyn
06-22-2021, 16:33
Here is a 9052 power master

These do not have a straddle mounted starter drive.....The pinion comes out the end of the starter motor..

Fairly common in the mini gear drive units

MAKE REAL CERTAIN THAT THE FORWARD FACING END OF THE STARTER HAS THE STUD/BOLT FOR THE SUPPORT HANGER THAT BOLTS TO THE BLOCK.
Without the support hanger the bolts will break....or the block will.