PDA

View Full Version : Bolts for "Turbo Power 6.5" cover/ Cooler Size help

Low_Bridge
03-21-2021, 20:13
My 96 came with the PMD laying on the intake. (ran Fine)

This cooler came in & I don't have the size of the cover bolts to mount the cooler.

Question: Does any one know off hand the size of the bolts. These I found in my shop I only finger tightened.

I can figure out the length, Guess I need a metric?

Thanks,

Low

DmaxMaverick
03-21-2021, 23:20
That's the worse place you can locate the PMD/FSD. It's better off mounted to the IP. Either get it out of the engine compartment, or mount it back onto the pump. Get your money back for that "cooler".

Low_Bridge
03-22-2021, 04:19
oops...... out board on the fender well ok?

Robyn
03-22-2021, 05:18
Best place is behind the front bumper .

Swing the cover plate down to access the lower area below the radiator.
Great place behind the bumper with plenty of cool(Cooler) air moving

Several companies offer extension cables to get you connected.

The engine bay is the worst place as Maverick said...

All bolts on the 6.5 are metric.

DmaxMaverick
03-22-2021, 05:21
Anywhere inside the engine compartment is bad. If you're trying to minimize heat exposure of the PMD, it must be outside the engine compartment, in a location exposed to free, fresh air. Inside the engine compartment allows the heat sink to work in both directions, soaking heat FROM the engine and radiator into the driver more often than it moves heat away. Mounted to the IP, at least it has circulating fuel to help with heat transfer. Good locations include behind the headlamp or bumper "nostril" holes.

DmaxMaverick
03-22-2021, 05:46
Also, you need to update your email account here. Go to "Settings (https://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/usercp.php)" at the top/right of any page you're logged into, then "Edit Email & Password" in the left pane. Your current email we have on file (@dadios.com) is bouncing from an address no longer valid. Without a valid email on file, you can't update your password or recover your account, and you won't receive notifications, such as when new replies to your threads arrive (the bounces I'm seeing now). It isn't required, but may prevent headaches in the future.

Low_Bridge
03-22-2021, 06:40
Yes, I'll update. Thanks for reminding me what I should already know........but it's been a few years since I've studied.

arveetek
03-22-2021, 06:49
I mounted my FSD Cooler in front of the driver's side battery, as suggested here:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/6265FSD.cfm

Casey

a5150nut
03-23-2021, 08:44
That's how I did my 94. But if memory serves me my cooling fins faced the opening.

Low_Bridge
03-24-2021, 07:41
Robyn,
Is there a link to that mounting with a picture? ~ Thanks

& the silly questions why they aren't affected by rain?

DmaxMaverick
03-24-2021, 08:22
The PMD (or FSD -Fuel Solenoid Driver, since it's not located on the pump) circuitry is completely potted. Meaning, embedded in a potting compound, similar to semi-hard caulking. Some I've seen are potted in a very hard compound, like epoxy (neither method seem to affect performance or failure rates). The electrical connector is the weather-pak type, so it's also protected from the elements. Coating the connector and contacts with dielectric grease further protects the connection. Mounting behind the bumper protects it from most direct weather conditions and impacts, and what remains is insignificant. The key is to get it away from heat and to a location it can be effectively cooled through the heat sink.

Low_Bridge
03-24-2021, 09:48
Thanks ~ Yes there are some license plate bolts. I'll see if I can make use of them if she'll reach

;)

Low_Bridge
03-24-2021, 18:52
Test drove her she was fine:

I know I'll catch grief for the "heat sink"

Everything else look about right?

Robyn
03-26-2021, 15:51
Nothing wrong with the cool little gold heat sink.

Adding heat sink paste between the heat sink and the PMD won't hurt.

The contact surface need to be FLAT....

The heat sink paste can be had at computer stores.

White goop in a tube.

I have mounted the heat sinks in one of the bumper nostrils a few times.

Carry on

Low_Bridge
03-27-2021, 05:23
Cool Robyn ~ Thanks.

Like I said, the FSD was literally laying on intake when I got the truck. It came with a later gen FSD also.

The guy was beat up from paying a local repair shop. New Pump & bigger turbo yadda.........

I'll get some white dielectric grease when I get a chance.

I believe I need to correct another thing also. I used a paper based gasket in between the FSD & the heatsink ~ will just potentially hold moisture & need change to rubber gasket?

Thanks

JohnC
03-27-2021, 07:56
You don't need a gasket. You want to conduct heat away from the FSD. The factory used a special heat conducting gasket, but that was its only purpose. Use the best heat sink grease you can find and no gasket.

Low_Bridge
03-27-2021, 08:40
Cool That ~ Thanks John.

JohnC
03-27-2021, 09:34
Cool That
Exactly! ;)