PDA

View Full Version : A different stalling problem

donkey
09-22-2004, 04:20
I have a 1995 C3500 with 57000 miles and the 6.5 turbo. Just recently it started dieing within 30 seconds after starting. It doesn't do it every time maybe 2 times out of 5. It starts perfectly and sounds fine but as I'm backing out of a parking place or just starting to go and usually within about 30 seconds it will die. It is then a little hard to start (probably have to crank for about 15 or 20 seconds) but once it starts again there are no more problems. I can drive it all day without it quitting. It only happens right after starting. If anyone can tell me where to start looking I sure would appreciate it.

charliepeterson
09-22-2004, 18:40
At the top of this page in small print hit the "search" phrase and type in "stalling". Any number of things can contribute to a stall. The first thing is to look at the fuel filter.

Welcome aboard!

The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Chad Mac
09-23-2004, 12:00
I currently have the exact same problem. The only time it won't stall is 1st start up of the day and only when I briefly kill it (2-3 minutes). Otherwise, STALL and 20-30 seconds of cranking before it comes back to life. I know it's not my FSD, just replaced it 8K miles ago. I have read up on all of the stalling info and I believe it is the Oil Pressure Switch. Anyone agree?

Chad Mac
09-23-2004, 12:06
I currently have the exact same problem. The only time it won't stall is 1st start up of the day and only when I briefly kill it (2-3 minutes). Otherwise, STALL and 20-30 seconds of cranking before it comes back to life. I know it's not my FSD, just replaced it 8K miles ago. I have read up on all of the stalling info and I believe it is the Oil Pressure Switch. Anyone agree?

rjwest
09-23-2004, 15:42
Probably not on a 96,

Need to check Lift pump pressure, and also see if there is an air leak in supply line....

Sounds like some air is getting into pump.

N9Phil
09-23-2004, 17:19
When my 95 acted that way, the idle rpm would be 150 to 200 rpm lower than normal when starting. If the idle rpm was normal ( around 750 ) when starting, then the engine would run normal and not quit. I replaced the fsd and it solved the problem.

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007188

N9Phil

Jim P
09-23-2004, 17:23
My truck did this when the pmd was bad.

I would start in the morning and go back in the house and it would stall. If I went back out and restarted it, it would be fine for the rest of the day. The next morning, the same thing. One morning it stalled and never restarted. I put on a new pmd and it has not done it since.