PDA

View Full Version : 95 6.5 diesel and PMD

Grizzly Adams
07-30-2023, 10:47
Hi; my first post. I have a 95 GMC , 300,000 k, with the 6.5 diesel that seems to have recurring pmd issues. One of the replacement advertisers claims a weak injection pump will burn out the pmd, I can't find any supporting references and am looking for input. Thanks

More Power
07-31-2023, 08:30
Welcome to The Diesel Page!

How is your PMD mounted? What PMD brand are you using?

Jim

Grizzly Adams
08-01-2023, 09:24
Welcome to The Diesel Page!

How is your PMD mounted? What PMD brand are you using?

Jim

I only use the truck occasionally. After the initial failure about 10 years ago, I relocated one , can't even recall the source, to the front bumper, which worked well Until 2 years ago. I got one off Amazon, a knock off, which worked well for about 3 months, strange part being when I connected it directly it would still operate. Since that time I've been driving the truck with the PMD, on a heat sink, lying on the intake manifold. Quit again the other day. If I'm going to replace it again, I'd like a recommendation for a dependable brand as well. thanks.

More Power
08-02-2023, 09:41
I recommend the Stanadyne module that is gray in color. I really don't like Stanadyne, because they are largely responsible for the electronic failure reputation the 1994 and newer 6.5 endured, but they did eventually develop a much improved module... even if it did take them till 2008 to do it.

Correct mounting and cooling is vital to long-term success. Can't be sloppy about it or use cheap parts. These modules generate considerable heat while in use.