PDA

View Full Version : Phone Calls - that begin with "My 6.5 won't start."...

More Power
07-31-2023, 06:41
Got a phone call a few days ago from a southern talking gentleman from North Carolina I'd guess to be about 50 who began with "my 6.5 won't start." His name won't be mentioned...

After my asking for the year of the truck (he said 1996) I always begin with the basics when helping someone solve this sort of problem - a bullet point list of possibilities starting with the most likely and ending with the possible. After about a half dozen suggestions for basic things to check and him stating that he's already done all that (fuel related to PMD), he slips a bit and tells me a tiny bit more of the story - not my first rodeo so I then realize that I have to drag it out of him... And I do mean drag... He won't volunteer a bit of it. My daughter says this is a man thing...

The real story... He'd just bought the truck, and it was still on his goose-neck trailer. He couldn't start it to move it off the trailer on its own power.

After more dragging I learn that it hadn't run for 6-7 years. It was owned by a young mechanic who had tried everything - or so he said. Everything... newly rebuilt fuel injection pump, lift pump, fuel filter, PMD/harness and more...

More dragging... He said that it once smoked a bit when it had been cranked by the young mechanic, but then nothing. I mentioned using a couple of tablespoons of clean diesel to prime into the intake manifold (I told him how to do this). I said that the engine wouldn't run on the prime, but it'll smoke, rattle, shake and spin faster than it would on the starter alone - allowing any air in the fuel system to be expelled faster, and that this would verify whether the engine was mechanically able to run. He then told me he'd already tried the priming thing.

By now, I know the game. Since it is summer in North Carolina, glow plugs should not be necessary, but he verified that the glow plugs do in fact work. So I said that unless the engine is broken, diesel priming "must" cause the engine to smoke, rattle and shake when cranked... He said it doesn't.

Then he slips and tells me that he had pulled the oil drain plug and saw only raw diesel fuel come out. Then, he said that with the glow plugs removed, the engine makes clanking noises while being cranked. I wondered whether this might be damage due to hydro-lock? We talked about there being a difference between clanking and puffing noises.

He had me define what I meant by "broken". I said that, for example, changing the fuel injection pump and bumping the starter (to get to all three of the bolts on the driven gear on the fuel injection pump) could cause the gear to bind against the side of the timing cover, which could result in shearing the cam key. It was then that he told me that the young mechanic had already replaced the cam key and timing set. What??? Wouldn't that be an important point to mention?

We're 15 minutes into this circular story at this point. He wants a miracle from me, but I told him that his engine is broken, and that if he (or the young mechanic) had just called me before "working" on it, I could have saved them from this debacle. But now, it's far too late... But he persists in his questioning... So... I said again "I'll say this one last time. If the engine won't smoke, rattle and shake...." He hangs up on me... The end of the phone call...

If he'd just told me the full story right at the start, I could have told him how to verify whether the engine was broken in the easiest possible way. But, I wasn't given that chance.

I get calls like this about once a year. I hate them. :mad:

JohnC
07-31-2023, 06:57
Oh, Jim, you just need to work on being a little more patient and understanding... :rolleyes:

More Power
07-31-2023, 08:08
Patience?

JohnC
07-31-2023, 13:17
Patience?

Exactly!

Robyn
07-31-2023, 16:40
This sort of stuff is quite annoying to say the least....

My sympathy Jim
Been down this road many times....

Had a customer once call me late on a Sunday afternoon with a tranny question.

"My truck will not shift....Why ?????

He was close by....I drove over and took a look....Yanked the dip stick.....Nearly dry....And smelled like burnt dog poop......

I tell him the tranny is toast....

Then....WHY???????????

My guess was it had a slow leak and it was/had gotten low on fluid and then began slipping....

"Can't we add some fluid and it be OK"????????????? No....it's toast.....Then I am instantly the reason it's broken.....

Yeah....those sort of clowns are out there......Yank the stick every time you fill the fuel tank....Check the engine oil too.....

Sad deal....Annoying late on a Sunday afternoon

Yukon6.2
08-01-2023, 08:47
I sold a Ford Ranger for my Sis in Law
The new owner took it to Ford for some work, they left a note saying they don't work on 20 year old or older stuff
So i got tagged as the answer guy.
Two days of phone calls for a starting issue
then he showed up with a 12 pack which i thought was a nice touch,till yesterday.
I now have the Ranger in my yard to fix.
at least it's not phone calls anymore.

More Power
08-01-2023, 13:24
I sold a Ford Ranger for my Sis in Law
The new owner took it to Ford for some work, they left a note saying they don't work on 20 year old or older stuff
So i got tagged as the answer guy.
Two days of phone calls for a starting issue
then he showed up with a 12 pack which i thought was a nice touch,till yesterday.
I now have the Ranger in my yard to fix.
at least it's not phone calls anymore.

I try to not sell any vehicle to a relative... because any sort of problem that might develop falls on me - they think - for as long as they own it (months, years, decades).

A few years ago I sold my father's 1994 Mercury Marquis (like a Ford Crown Vic)after he passed... It had a check engine light and ran a little rough, so I sold it on Craig's list as a mechanic's special for $350... Mind you, I had already replaced 3 power window regulators at $50/each and put in a new battery for another $100. Plus, I'd buffed out the paint. The car had about 120k on the clock, and would have made a Ford/Merc owner a good ride with just a little technical work. A local guy responded to the ad and bought it, after a test drive. His primary concern was that there be no smoking/oil use. So, during the test drive I told him to "get on it" to test for any smoking. It didn't with a full pedal run for an 1/8th mile or so.

A week later I get an angry call with intimations that I'd duped (lied/cheated) him. He said the car was smoking. I reminded him that it didn't when he test drove it. Long story short, I offered all of his money back, and only later did he state that he used some sort of snake oil engine cleaner in the crankcase. The smoking began shortly thereafter. I still offered a full refund and buyback because my reputation is worth more than $350 even if it was his fault. He then said he'd already spent more than that on engine treatments and service. I said that was on him, and that the "treatments" likely caused the problem.

People....

56pan
08-02-2023, 18:37
"southern talking gentleman from North Carolina". Long story short, the guy was a liar. I'm in NC. When it comes to technical help on a 6.5 there are mechanics here, concerning this engine, who could cross thread a mayonnaise jar. Learn about the 6.5 or get rid of the 6.5.

Robyn
08-03-2023, 04:31
Now that takes skill to cross thread a mayo jar.....Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I have seen some of those clowns.......

Same sort of folks can be confused by a Weed whacker motor with a broken pull string.....

More Power
08-03-2023, 09:53
"southern talking gentleman from North Carolina". Long story short, the guy was a liar. I'm in NC. When it comes to technical help on a 6.5 there are mechanics here, concerning this engine, who could cross thread a mayonnaise jar. Learn about the 6.5 or get rid of the 6.5.

I got him to slip by stating that these engines rarely get to a "no start" situation without some sort of warning in the prior days/weeks/months. So I asked about its recent history... I already suspected more than I let on at this point. ;)