PDA

View Full Version : no start

phantom309
12-01-2023, 06:46
My 99 suburban,.......... i parked truck way back because i tried to do a KOKO and it had no resistor in. As soon as ecm saw 170 deg it would cough splutter couldn't find its timing, clouds of smoke. we had a scanner try to turn off the relearn but to no avail. I finally acquired another ecm, so i got the truck running, warmed it to only 150 or so, shut it down swapped ecm's. I did the 3X10 min key on relearn for the security system and she fired up nicely idled great,. left it running for about 20 mins or so all just perfect. I shut it down and after an hr i restarted it just fine. i tried again after 2 hrs more and no spark,.. rolls over and not even a kick,. so i verified a good fuel flow hot wired pump opened bleed etc,. glow plug relay clicks just fine,. i swapped pmd's,.. I am now thinking the pump has given up the ghost,.I have gotten a few 6.5's running over the years,.but this one seems to be a problem child,.

arveetek
12-01-2023, 07:22
Hmmm.... most injection pump failures I've encountered usually result in a rough running situation, but not a complete no start. Since it ran perfectly fine right before, and now it won't start, I suspect it's a security/ECM issue still.

Casey

DmaxMaverick
12-01-2023, 08:30
I agree with Casey. It's much more likely related to the ECM, specifically the security. Try the alternate PCM again.

Yukon6.2
12-01-2023, 09:53
Sounds like the 99 burb that i restored a couple winters ago.
Mine had an issue with the fuse powering the security system.Fuse tested good on the end while installed.But it was corroded on the spade and not getting clean power to the security system.I believe it;s the same fuse that powers the daytime running lights.
Hopefully you don't have to dive in as deep as i did.
My Burb had been abandoned,so i had no knowledge of it's issues.It had a bunch.
Ended up with a nice rust free 4x4 2500 Burb in the end.

phantom309
12-02-2023, 08:17
Thanks for the replies and idea's the security light goes out after a few seconds.. with either ecm. So i have 2 ecm's to play with,. no fire for either,.. So back to basics, am trying to get another fsd,. i have had them screw up too, i have one in the bumper and 1 under the hood.
Thanks for the tip about dtr fuse,. that might be handy. Just exceptionally frustrating at the moment. In the past i backed my old 94 into a shop for a week in whitecourt alta, weather was really cold,...heated shop, i was doing a log haul, got back to the truck, no fire! good plugs good fuel pressure,. bought a new fsd,. still no fire,. i changed the pump out for my 5068, and it fired easily,. Now years later i'm outside,. even plugged in all night and day, not even a kick. So,. the saga continues,. thanks again guys.
Just an add on here,. it was acting up some on the first ecm if i throttled it hard and faat, it'd stumble, and belch a blue cloud, gather it breath and then rev fine,. The second ecm i drove it and the truck picked up revs and power quicker, ( i run my wastegate closed all time, i know i know i can hear you all groan, but i drive my truck by my boost guage have done for over 40,000 miles) so it put some good power down ,.parked it, started it once all good,. second try no fire and no fire since,. so i agree its ecm/ fsd/ i did unplug the OS,. but still no fire. aaargh.

phantom309
12-03-2023, 19:05
Today, armed with batteries and booster cables, and a known fsd, i tried again fail.
But the problem seems to be starting to surface,.
When i turn the key on to cycle the glow plugs all kinds of shenanigans,. the service engine soo, and wait to start lights simply fade away... both turn signals light up along with battery light and a couple of others,. starter whirls the motor over, fuel pump works great but no glow plug relay now,. i'm wondering if i have fusible link melted, or something in the steering column,.but as you guys said no power to ecm i'm thinking too. i don't see a dedicated fuse for glow plugs,.every fuse i have checked for continuity and all good.
The truck id s us model, do does not have dtr's

Yukon6.2
12-04-2023, 09:38
Check grounds
I stole the FSD and cooler from my Burb when i was getting a 3500HD running and diagnosing issues.I have another FSD on a cooler that i was using to test FSD's on the Burb.The test cooler is easier to get to then the one i borrowed for the other truck.
The one i removed was behind the left front headlight,which i used a ground wire connection bolt to mount the cooler.
I never tightened the bolt when i borrowed the cooler and FSD.
When i went to use the Burb all was good except the flashers and windshield wipers were acting erratic.
After a bunch of wasted time i found the loose ground was the issue with the wipers and flashers.
But i did change the wiper motor which had a minor issue, so it wasn't a complete waste of time.
Mine Burb came from the states as well