PDA

View Full Version : PMD finally failing?

arveetek
03-07-2024, 18:30
I had a weird issue happen this evening. Started up my 1995 Tahoe to leave work, and then it died in the driveway. Then it was hard to restart, rattled a bunch, and then the check engine light came on. I shut it off, let it set a while, but got the same results. Turns out it was also in limp mode, as I had no power when I tried to head home.

I pulled over, and decided to swap over my spare PMD. This made things worse! Engine barely ran with erratic throttle, black smoke, and erratic RPMs. I decided to plug the original PMD back in, and then everything was fine?? No more check engine light, power was back, and she never missed a beat the rest of the way home.

I know PMD's can cause weird symptoms when they start to fail. Looks like this current Dtech model is nearing 10 years old. But I'm also wondering if the extension harness may be starting to fail? Perhaps unplugging and plugging things back in helped the situation? (My spare PMD is a black Stanadyne, who knows how old it is; it was working fine when I removed it from a parts truck several years ago.)

Anyway, I plan to order another PMD and extension harness, since the PMD is getting old, and the harness is almost 19 years old.

I've been really happy with the Dtech, as the first one lasted many years, and this one has gone nearly 10 years. But searching around, I don't see the usual sellers offering them anymore. Are they still in business? I found one on Amazon for $234!

Is the Flight Systems just as good? I have heard good things about them. Is the Flight Systems better than the Stanadyne gray?

Casey

arveetek
03-08-2024, 13:29
I just now realized that Dtech was manufactured by Flight Systems, so I might as well order the readily available Flight Systems PMD that now carries a lifetime warranty.

I found this earlier in a statement from Dipaco a few years ago (mfg of Dtech): "Flight Systems Electronics Group is indeed the manufacturer of the Pump Mounted Driver (PMD) for use on the DS pumps and their Diesel Division is the remanufacturer of the DTech DS fuel pumps."

Looks like Dipaco is now part of Alliant Power:

https://parts.alliantpower.com/en-us/dt650005-drt20067

Casey

More Power
03-08-2024, 14:33
Thanks for the info!

I always thought a permanent cure for the PMD was a 4911? ;)

DmaxMaverick
03-08-2024, 15:15
Thanks for the info!

I always thought a permanent cure for the PMD was a 4911? ;)
... or a 1911.

arveetek
03-08-2024, 19:13
Funny, guys! :D

You know, to be honest, the DS4 gets a bad rap, but it really hasn't caused me THAT much trouble over the 19 years I've owned one. Sure, I would prefer to have a DB2 for simplicity and reliability, but if all I have to do is change a PMD every few years, that's really not too bad. If I had a manual transmission, I would probably seriously consider it, but with an automatic, I don't know that it's worth the hassle.

Casey