PDA

View Full Version : I'm back in the game...now what?

racer510
09-23-2004, 12:51
Have a 96 Suburban 2wd 6.5. w/ 100K.
Looks like GM is going to warranty the most recent injection pump (#3) but don't expect they'll do it again.

This time had a large amount of non-ferrous metal in the filter and had drivablity problem. Last time it was stalling.

Want to make sure that I am doing the right things to keep it running reliably/economically.

This time had a large amount of non-ferrous metal in the filter and had drivablity problem. Last time it was stalling.

What tips do you suggest? Is the fuel filtration adequate for the DS4 pumps? What about additives.

How about the PMD? Should I remote mount?

Appreciate the help!

Hal

Dvldog 8793
09-23-2004, 13:40
Howdy
I would start by locating the source of the metal in the filter. Possibly a lift pump going south? Or some internal tank problems. Maybe flush the whole system, drop the tank and inspect. # pumps in 100k miles! :eek: Not unusual but on the high end of bad. I would use the Stanadyne blue for a good additive. Go to Dr Lee Forrum and do a search for Sulfur and check out good bad or ugly. Remote mounting the FSD is probably a good idea. In the least it cant hurt anything and it is possible to make a good heat sink for little or nothing depending on your skills. If nothing else be sure you remove the "turbo power" cover from your intake.
Hope this helps!
L8r
Conley

rjwest
09-23-2004, 15:40
I added another filter in series, right at the tank.

2 micron type, I do not think any cr*p will get to
the main filte.

Did get water and rust for several months each time I drained it, clear now.

Main Filter ( GM OEm ) stays clean, change it once a year.

slagona
09-24-2004, 03:25
There's a good chance that the metal is coming from the injection pump!!! Many members have reported metal in their fuel filter which is coming from the injection pump. Fuel circulates through the pump to cool it and then back to the fuel tank - thus contaminating the tank and the fuel lines.

GM will continue to warranty the pump until 120K miles/10 years. However, the kicker is that they will charge you for flushing the tank and fuel lines even though it is the pump that caused the contamination. However the price for the flush is well below the cost of what the pump replacement would be if you had to pay for the pump......

I don't think anyone has been successful in getting the flush covered under warranty.

Dvldog 8793
09-24-2004, 04:38
Has anyone ever tried puting a filter on the return line? Then it could proved that the FOD was coming from the pump.
L8r
Conley

rjwest
09-24-2004, 07:28
I had metal in filter just before IP died.
After replacement of IP, ( no tank flushing, etc. )
no metal in filters...

Why should you pay for Tank flush when metal comes from " the defect that is warrented by GM ?????

racer510
09-24-2004, 14:54
I found some of the posts regarding metal returning to the tank from the IP while I was waiting for the dealer to diagnose and get back to me. Sure glad they decided to pay for everything except the lift pump or it would have been a nasty fight.

Every pro that I talked to, other than those with GM or dealer, expected dealer to prove that contamination was my fault. Why should I have to prove it was their problem. As soon as I saw the return line explanation I knew I could turn it around on them. We would have had a independent shop taking that pump apart before I would have paid a dime.

Anyway, you've shared some great info. I'm going to run the Stanadyne additive, remote mount the PMD, add another filter/separator ahead of the lift pump, and keep the fuel tank with 1/2 tank or more.

Its a great truck and I can't get another diesel Sub for now so its worth it.

Thanks guys!
Hal