PDA

View Full Version : Need help with ongoing problems

barryjackson
02-10-2004, 15:33
I purchased a 95 K2500 with the 6.5 turbo diesel just under one year ago and have had one problem after another with it. I've already put on two new heads, replaced two cracked injectors, and replaced two different sensors (well over $3000). I now have two new problems - the first one is when the truck is cold and I first start it, I do not get any response from the throttle for 5-7 minutes. However, if I immediately turn the truck off and re-start, I get throttle. My other problem is my check engine light is coming on and the code is a solenoid in the transmission (but the transmission is very smooth). What I'm wondering is if there isn't something else going on. Each time my check engine light has come on and I'm taken it to the shop, they fix whatever code it reads and then it immediately kicks out another code. I'm wondering if there isn't something wrong with the computer in the truck. The shop I've taken it to recommended I take it to a chevy dealer to check it out. Do any of you have any thoughts or have experienced something similar? Thank you.

C.K. Piquup
02-10-2004, 16:24
Poor connections at the computer can cause varied problems.I`ve gotten codes,cleared it,and never had to fix anything.Maybe you need to flash the computer,if these are bogus codes.The no throttle response sounds to me to be the PMD.Before it started doing this,did it ever stall?I`d check on the possible bad connections first.This. could all be related

diesel1995
02-10-2004, 17:57
A little off topic, but our fleet trucks that have the DT444 engine (1998 Internationals) do the exact same thing. Only thing is when you start them, if you already have your foot on the throttle, the engine will take off, until you take your foot off, and then no throttle response for 5 min or so. In my mind, since the DT444 engines in the International 3800 series chassis are also an electronic throttle pedal that looks much the same, i wonder if its a related problem to the electronic throttle.....

P.S. -- the international dealer said that it is normal on these trucks, but i dont remember them ever doing it when they were new.

My 2 cents

ucdavis
02-10-2004, 18:20
Screwy nonsense like yours is usually grounds (the thing that unites all electical gizmos). That can be especially true on older or high miler rigs that have undergone lots of vibration. Old grounds need to be more than just tight; the metal surfaces on which they depend may have become corroded, so eventualy old ground connections should be unbolted, brightened up (consider applying Kopr-Shield or similar anti-oxidative coating) then retorqued to firm contact. I think we see more of these types of problems during or after wet weather.
The other thing that may be giving you grief is a high mileage APP, Accelerator Pedal Position sensor. This is the aluminimum hockey puck attached to the accel pedal. It is a combination of 3 rheostats which can get clogged w/their own wear particles after many miles of pedal pushing. Heard tell here on TDP of a guy that drilled a small hole in his, squirted it full of contact cleaner or some other clean-drying cleaner that comes in a WD-40 type of nozzle applicator, blew it out w/a needle type air nozzle & made sure it was dry inside, plugged the hole (I'd use JB Weld, quick curing) and put it back in w/like-new results. It'll eventually wear out, but this home brew method gave him a workable truck again.

charliepeterson
02-10-2004, 19:15
Don't over look the Ignition Switch and harness to it. All these circuts need a good feed from it to operate correctly.

Barry Nave
02-10-2004, 20:00
If you see my post on DS4,Why the Elct. are so tempermental I'll never know :rolleyes:
Though ones cleaned, I mean all :( It will run like like Hell. Now years pass and it's time to do it again. Been there done that :mad: