PDA

View Full Version : Funny problem today...

reynog
05-29-2004, 19:14
My 6.5 has 102K on it now and hasn't given me any problems (other than some oil leaks) until today.
Drove about 400 miles, did a couple of stops and after one of the stops the "low Coolant" light came on for about a minute and then went off. Stopped for lunch and let the engine cool down enough to top off the cooling system. Topped it off (and it wasn't low) and started the engine to head back. Hard start and the SES light is on now. Also the cruise didn't work until I stopped the next time (about 200 miles) turned the ignition off and started again (started OK). Now everything seems to be working OK but the SES is still on.

What should I do??

whatnot
05-29-2004, 19:25
Originally posted by reynog:

What should I do?? Get the codes read for a place to start.
Was the engine very loud when it finally started?Sounds like it might possibly be the crankshaft sensor.

markrinker
05-30-2004, 08:21
Both of my '94s have intermittant problems showing 'Low Coolant' when they are in fact full. Usually happens when engine temps are high, I think the senders are corroded, and the excess heat puts them over the top of the conductivity range they see as 'open'.

Sounds like you many have two different problems - what were your water temps when this was occuring? Are you towing anything?

whatnot
05-30-2004, 09:27
I forgot to say in the last post that I also think it is more than one problem.
I aggree with Mark,
If the coolant is full then it is probably the sensor or a bad wire connection. My 93 has the sensor had the low coolant light on for a long time and I was just ignoring it because it was full.

DennisG01
05-31-2004, 05:29
Not sure that I can help with what the underlying cause is - but I might be able to help with the SES light (I have an intermittent starting problem). If the light comes on because of a problem, but then the truck somehow magically fixes itself, the light will stay on until there are a certain number of successful starts without incident. I don't know exactly how many times that is, though it might be about 5 o 10 times.