PDA

View Full Version : Oversize Michelins

DickWells
02-10-2004, 18:30
FWIW: I put on a new set of 4 Michelin AW 265x75-16's load range E while I was back in Vt. at Christmas. Came back to Del Rio solo. (left the trailer in Del Rio) The old set was the same size, but load range C. They were not nearly worn out with 51k miles, but with the extended tongue on my trailer with a BIG atv on it, I have at least 1500 lbs of tongue weight and I wanted more solid tires on there. The Sub. weighs 8500 + with us and all our stuff in it.
The first time I towed a load with the new tires was from Del Rio to Brownsville the other day. Since the LR C's were 2% over stock on the circumference, and the E's are 3%, I figured I'd feel a drop in power. But, I couldn't believe how the Sub. seems to be going down the road at lower throttle settings and feels generally more effortless on hills and taking off. Could it be that the harder tires are giving less rolling resistance? Anyone had a similar experience with a set of heavier duty tires?
Could it be that I'm just reaping the benefit of retarding my pump a wee bit last week? (read about it under code 88 in the Forum)
I'm running about 80 psi cold in the rear and 65 in the front, as opposed to about 55 all around with the old LR C's.
Your thoughts/comments?
Regards, Dick Wells.

joed
02-11-2004, 11:58
I also run Michelin 265's, load range C. They have held up pretty well, probably because I run around empty a lot of the time. When towing, I do seem to notice more flexing than when using the stock E tire. I think I'll upgrade to E's when it's time for new ones.

As for increase in performance, could it be the increased tire pressure? With more pressure the tread patch is slightly narrower, probably giving a little less resistance. The E tire could be helping in this regard as well.

Joe.