PDA

View Full Version : 94 ECM to a 93 ECM?

Uncle Wally
02-10-2004, 21:05
OK,

I was thinking about overall costs and I came up with a different idea. Has anyone ever converted a 94/95 truck over to a 93? I am thinking about converting over to a mech inj. pump on my 94 to get more power. Can I plug a 93 ECM in place of the 94 unit and still have everything function correctly?

Are there any issues with the glow controls?
Trans. issues?

Just a thought.
Thanks in advance.
Waldo

Uncle Wally
02-12-2004, 13:53
I guess if someone had a copy of a Helms manual that I could peek at to compare wiring between the two trucks I could figure it out myslef.

Waldo

kowsoc
02-13-2004, 05:48
Wouldn't it be easier overall to chip the computer you have? The chip will increase overall performance and not just increase maximum fuel as in a mechanical pump. My .02.

Uncle Wally
02-13-2004, 08:27
Mine is already chipped. Obviously Pen Diesel can get 400 hp from their marine setup, so there has to be a mech IP that is metered for higher fuel rates than the Elec IP's can deliver.

Waldo

cruzer
02-13-2004, 08:31
If you use the "search" funtion, you find this info. Also, IIRC there's articles on this
in a couple of TDP "Feature Artcle and Product
Reviews".

I feel fourtunate that my truck is mech inj'd.
I don't know if I could handle all the problems
that arise w/electronic inj. Just my .02cts.

bobt
02-13-2004, 21:26
Wally, Since '93IP is mechanical, does the vehicle even have an ECM?
Bob

Uncle Wally
02-14-2004, 05:30
Most certainly - you can still pull codes - albieght there are fewer - and it still controls the transmission.

Uncle Wally
02-16-2004, 16:54
Ok - I dug some more.

I should explain a bit though.

I don't have to worry about boost as I have a non wastegated turbo. So no need to have ECM for that.

I understand that cruise was controlled by the ECM in 94-5. What did GM use on the 93's? Can it be fit on a 94?

Trans controls should be the same for both trucks. Shouldn't be much of an issue.

Tach comes from alternator.

Speed is electonically generated and a signal sent through the VSSB to the ECM. That should all be same, right?

It seams to me that the easiest way to get everything to work is convert to a 93 ECM.

Now the question I was asked before about a 93 having one. I am going to double check to make sure, but the gassers have em. So I'm sure the diesels do too. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Any input?
Waldo

Bobbie Martin
02-16-2004, 18:06
I swapped a DB2 in our 95 Suburban. Its a lot of work, but now that its sorted out, I really like it.

I understand that cruise was controlled by the ECM in 94-5. What did GM use on the 93's? Can it be fit on a 94? Cruise is the least of your problems. You will need an electro-motor cruise unit - can be had used for $25. A couple of brackets and some rewiring are all that is necessary. You can use your current cruise stalk.

Trans controls should be the same for both trucks. Shouldn't be much of an issue.
Not so easy here. GM changed the force motors in the valve body and you shouldn't mix post 94 and 93 and earlier controllers (TCM) and valve bodies. You could fit the 93 valve body, but it had problems corrected in the new design. There are 94+ TCMs but for 2WD only.

It seams to me that the easiest way to get everything to work is convert to a 93 ECM.

Now the question I was asked before about a 93 having one. I am going to double check to make sure, but the gassers have em. So I'm sure the diesels do too. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You really don't want a 93 TCM, see above - Its more than just swapping your PCM for a TCM. Quite a bit of rewiring and you have to keep your PCM. Its doable, but more to it than meets the eye. If you are doing to eliminate the troublesome DS4, I would say go for it. If for performance only, its probably cheaper to chip your DS4 - High HP DB2s are expensive. If you are really interested in doing this, contact me.