PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Head -- Help!

ees
05-31-2004, 11:16
So I am part way into my engine work (H20 pump, timing chain, head gaskets, etc) and I can't get the passenger side head off the block. I have the cross over pipe removed as well as the turbo, intake, etc. All the head bolts are out except for one which is just barely on as I don't want the head to get away from me when I break it free.

I have tried prying against the exhaust manifold and the frame. I have tried my slide hammer and broke it.

The drivers side popped loose very easily. Is there something I am missing or is the just sometimes the way it is?

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

--
'94 2500 4x4 6.5 TD Suburban 223k
Work in progress

Peter J. Bierman
05-31-2004, 13:14
That's just the way it is sometimes, had mine off last week and had it hanging at the crane, lifted whole truck from suspension before it came loose.
normaly a pry bar should do the job if you can find support for it.
If you have 17 bolds out, it's only hanging on to the gasket.

Good luck,

Peter

Peter J. Bierman
05-31-2004, 13:22
Come to think off it, on my truck the alternator bracket is bolted to both block and head, might keep it in place?
If you are absolutly sure that there is nothing left that hold it in place, you can try a piece off wood through the frame and suspension to the head and on a jack, lift it some and jump on the front bumper, meaning use the weight off the truck.

Peter

ees
05-31-2004, 14:41
I do have all the accessories off and their brackets. The pass side exhaust manifold does not bolt to the block or anything does it? I have all the head bolts out. Must have counted them a 10 times to be sure.

I was trying to avoid breaking out my engine hoist. I guess that may be the next step. I will take a look to see if I can get at it with a board or something and a floor jack, but I think with the front independant suspension there is no space.

Thanks for the suggestions

Eric

autocrosser
05-31-2004, 16:18
Try cranking it over. The compression might just break it loose.

ees
05-31-2004, 16:54
If I can't get it another way I will try that. Right now cranking it over would require putting a few parts back on the engine first.

I am going to work on it again tomorrow night. I think my first try will be just to grunt louder. That seems to work sometimes.

By the way as a fellow autocrosser my EP VW Rabbit is sitting lonely in my garage unloved because my tow vehicle is in pieces. Actually it currently has a diesel turbo on the front floor board to keep it out of harms way.

Thanks for the input.

-Eric

tom.mcinerney
05-31-2004, 19:19
I'd removed all emgine accessories except water pump. I used a block of wood that i held under a ridge/lip on front of head. I tapped the bottom of the wood block (& head) UP with a lump hammer (light persuader). There are locating pins which hold the heads nicely in horizontal alignment, so removal thrust needs be UP off block deck.

ees
06-01-2004, 15:53
I got the head off finally. I used a 4x4 wood block as recommended with a floor jack. I lifted against the end of the exhaust manifold as this is the only part of the head (or stuff attached to it) that I could get at from the bottom. It did not take much force before it popped.

They are off to the machine shop tomorrow.

Thanks for the help guys

-Eric

sidedump
06-01-2004, 16:04
autocrosser,
Is that a Maxton Roller Skate I'm seeing?

autocrosser
07-28-2004, 18:28
Sorry about the slow reply.

No it's a replica of a Lotus Super 7. It's powered by a modified rotary with a single Weber 48IDA carb (255hp).

Don't need no turbo to make lots of power and it only weighs 1525 pounds. It will stay up with most anything on the road. It loves to run low 12 sec quarter miles, 0-60 in under 4 sec. Great fun for a 64 year old.

ees
07-28-2004, 18:38
Do you ever run at Danville Airport? I think I might have seen you there about 2 years ago. I have a blue EP Rabbit. That was the first Autocross I had taken that car to. I am in the Blue Ridge Region up in Roanoke.

Since we totaled our old Suburban and our "new" suburban has been a nightmare I am still out a tow vehicle so no races yet this year.

autocrosser
07-30-2004, 11:24
Eric,

We hold a school and regular event there in June every year. It allows for a great course to be setup. If you get to one of our events (Triad Sports Car Club) look me up. I am the treasurer (for life it seems) and do the registration at the events.

Joe