And has a NEAT Bottle..

Anyone use it ?????

Don't like Rotella, Bottle always falls over,
And cap does not reseal very well.

Same with there diesel treatment.

Ate up my Rhino Liner...

eracers999
09-26-2004, 05:16
I used it years ago in a road truck and had my reasones that i really liked it and if i were to quit using amsoil it would be the oil of choice for me again.

Kent

Dvldog 8793
09-26-2004, 05:21
Howdy
I have had bad experiences with Pensoil in my gassers and misc other cars that I've worked on. I don't know if they have changed there formula over the years but it seems to me that the inside of a motor is no place for " liquide ball-bearings" :D tongue.gif Two motors that I pulled apart had run Pen in them exclusivly, both had lots of miles and were getting rebuilt. However, they both had an incredible amount of sludge/crap inside the block. I don't know if it was from the oil or what but if given a choice I would stay away from Penzoil. I know some truckers/equipment owners that swear by the supertech oil at wal-mart. I use Delvac1300.
L8r
Conley

eracers999
09-27-2004, 05:10
Ive spoken to walmart's people and they say that the super tech oil is pensoil. The wax build up thing is way in the past for them. Delvac is also a top choice for me.
Rotella has a bad taste in my mouth, cant bring myself to consider it.
Back in 87 88 we did multiple rebuilds on 3 cat 3406a's. Couldent get more than 100k before being wore out. The focus didnt take long before oil was being looked at closely. After some testing all i can tell you is the owner was ballistic after a discovery and conversation with the oil people. (the stuff was in bulk). All tanks and rotella were removed from the shop, pensoil was used there out, i can remember the owner being impressed with pensoil, the small fleet was watched closely. I cant say for certain but it was said that the rotella people paid for at least 3 inframes. It is my belief that you are at the mercy of the mixing plant that makes the oil for everyone to be shure that the key additives are being used in the correct amounts, if ya know what i mean.
Kent

JohnC
09-27-2004, 13:32
Originally posted by Kent:
Ive spoken to walmart's people and they say that the super tech oil is pensoil. ...Kent:

You (or anyone else) don't happen to know who makes their oil filters, do you?

catmandoo
09-27-2004, 16:57
i'm with dvldog on this one,in my dads shop the worst looking engines we tore into were using pennzoil,and if it was a ford it had a milky white snot inside that would make you ****.i don't care if they gave a 10 dollar rebate per quart i would never use that crap.

eracers999
09-27-2004, 20:17
John C;
I can not say with absolute certanty only what i think with regards to the oil filters, purolater.

Catmando;
You wont tear down a engine that has been using penzoil in recent history that will have the cake build up that engines of the past have had, unless it has a coolant leak in to the cooling system. Some of the cleanest engines i have seen have been using penzoil. Tore down some that were so clean that i had to ask the customer what they were using and when they said penzoil i also changed my position on penzoil. I cannot ignor what i have learned first hand.
Kent

damork
09-28-2004, 04:12
I agree with Dvldog and Catmandoo, I quit Pennzoil after finding sludge and a goo built up inside engines I was rebuilding. Maybe they've changed, but I prefer Delvac or Amsoil.

catmandoo
09-28-2004, 04:35
maybe they have changed it's been a few years since we've done any.so i guess i shouldn't say it is junk but from my past experience its gonna take some major convincing to change my mind.

rjwest
09-28-2004, 11:40
OK, Guess I'll go back to old system of oil changes, Keep switching brands, That way I get
the best benefit from the additives each brand has,

Down side, get the worst also, Oh well.

Still like the square bottles over Rotella.

Free , 1 jug of Pennsoil, Just pay shipping and
handling.) ( insert " Smile " thingy here )

65-f100
09-28-2004, 12:13
I'll throw my .02 in here. After pulling apart a gas engine with 192k miles running Pennzoil the whole time - I switched all my vehicles to Pennzoil. There was not a drop of sludge in sight in the upper or lower end.

I'm using Amzoil in my 6.5 because of the obvious advantages, but would not hesitate to use Pennzoil.

I have to agree with Kent - my personal experience has been good, for whatever that is worth.

Hye
09-28-2004, 16:01
Another member posted this web URL

http://eolcs.api.org/

where you can look up who is licensed to use the API oil classification starburst. Tech 2000 is licensed as all or part of a trademark of Exxon/Mobile de Mexico and WalMart of Canada.

Being one of the cheapest members of this very intelligent, observant and dedicated group of mechanics, wishawuza mechanics (me), hatetobe mechanics (sometimes me) and otherwise enthusiastic,sometimes befuddled and often lively diesel owners, I have used Tech 2000 exclusively in my '94 that has now accumulated 285K miles. I don't think I'll be looking for anything "better". I will leave that to those that use their diesels under more demanding circumstances.

Oh, as for the bottle, a two gallon plastic Tech 2000 bottle, when properly cut maks a very convenient parts bin, complete with handle and drain plug! I have a very large collection.

65-f100
09-29-2004, 11:24
Looked at the website and they list Tech 2000 under Exxon/Mobil but if you scroll down - Super Tech is listed under Wal-Mart Stores. So which is it?

DmaxMaverick
09-29-2004, 11:26
I don't think WalMart has a refinery. Yet.

65-f100
09-29-2004, 11:30
Yet is right - won't surprise me if they do. I'd love to see them get involved in that and bring those prices down too! Looks like the website is showing License information for the names because Tech 2000 is also shown under Wal-Mart Canada.

Hubert
09-29-2004, 13:25
My general rule on oil is its "mostly all" good if fresh and good regular maintenance intervals are followed but I had a bad experience with a popular brand bought at Walmart a while back: I cut the bottom out of quart one to use it as a funnel. I was shocked at the little bit of coffee colored thick junk/crap/sludge in the bottom.

I called the oil company to complain and investigate and was told that oil does have a shelf life and additives and some sediments will settle out over time. The person I talked to said you should shake up oil before using if it has sat a while. Sounded good to me; I generally shake everything but beer and unless it says not too then I will swirl it or stir it. (I am not sure if thats good advice but its what I was told - comments.) The oil guy said also be leary of oil that has sat too long ~I think I remember 9 months was starting to get too long but he did not say what was really the limit.

Similarly, I use Tech oil from walmart with no problems for a Timex like 236,000 miles plus mitsubshi and the bottle bottoms have always been really clean. Not so for other name brands. Sometimes the cheaper tech oil sells better and stock gets turned over regularly and that is a REALLY BIG PLUS. While some more expensive brands or ones not as "popular" sit on the shelf.

My point is watch Walmart and the big stores to be sure they are rotating stock - what ever brand you use. I wouldn't recommend buying any oil with a heavy layer of dust on the bottle. Keep an eye for the latest marketing logo's and packaging etc.

Try cutting the bottom out of a container of your preferred brand sometime and you'll see what I mean.

catmandoo
09-29-2004, 19:23
i know what you mean i usually buy oil for my tractors from case/ih/nh/?whatever the heck they are now and and i usually get 5 gallon buckets and they usually have a darker film on the bottom,which i usually try to avoid,what little is left can go in the pushlawn mower,it's like mikey it likes everything.