PDA

View Full Version : JK's 3.5 Exhaust

gmenor
09-26-2004, 05:53
Just got done installing JK's 3.5" exhaust, took about 4 hours. The kit was complete minus 6 bolts for the U-shaped clamps (not an issue). This was by far the easiest exhaust system I had ever installed. As far as performance what a difference. Boost is up and pyrometer is down and the acceleration is increditable. I should have done this upgrade years ago. One thing to note the FSD went out yesterday at Lowes. Had to used mt new back up. I tighten the nuts in the back of the old one (one side was loose other was OK).

Kennedy
09-27-2004, 06:53
Drop me a note and tell me what is missing. Shouldn't be anything missing...

Glad you like the kit. I am thinking of changing the tailpipe design and going with a slightly longer muffler. Primary goal id to fit the tailpipe as 1 pc in a box. Dunno if I want to mess with success???

Dihrdbowti
09-27-2004, 20:12
Wow that's good to hear. I have been debating putting any more money in the Yukon as I have been looking at a D-max and have a hard time justifying the big bucks for the D-max. I think when I get my bonus check in Nov I might just give JK a call. Hey JK you ever think about piecing out the exhaust system for those of us on a budget?? :D

MTTwister
09-28-2004, 07:46
Or JK - re: piecing out - do you sell partial systems? I have the BD down pipe and gutted the CAT - while bolting it back up I thought - jeez, not much left from the CAT - back .
So, can a guy get the pipe pieces that would fit from the end of the CAT on back?
Thanks

gmenor
09-28-2004, 13:19
JK,
Sorry I meant 6 nuts for the u-bolts. Had them on hand so no worries.

JohnC
09-28-2004, 13:38
Piecing together parts of different exhaust systems can be more frustrating than good. I know. I wanted a JK exhaust but, as a resident of the Peoples Republik of Massachusetts, I was facing the threat of polution inspections, so I wanted a way to retain the cat if necessary. What I found was that John's exhaust and the stock setup missed each other by about 2". A day later, I finally got a custom part made up to fit it all together. Press bent :mad:

Then I (unexpectedly) moved to upstate NY where all we get is lights-horn-wipers... :mad: :mad:

I've been meaning to have a mandrel bent connector made up, but...

Kennedy
09-29-2004, 04:54
Originally posted by MTTwister:
Or JK - re: piecing out - do you sell partial systems? I have the BD down pipe and gutted the CAT - while bolting it back up I thought - jeez, not much left from the CAT - back .
So, can a guy get the pipe pieces that would fit from the end of the CAT on back?
Thanks I have a schematic PDF as well as pics on my site. You can delete the downpipe if you like, but would need to either eliminate the 4 bolt flange or weld a flange on my next pipe.

damork
10-01-2004, 17:27
I'd vote for a system I could bolt to my downpipe that has a 4 bolt flange. I installed the downpipe over 4 years ago and at the time I had to shop around to find one that was bent right to fit a half ton model. Looks like my muffler is starting to get a bit flaky from corrosion, so am considering cat-and-back replacement.

MTTwister
10-02-2004, 08:07
Actually I gutted the CAT - and am inclined to keep the 'CAN' on the outfit - in the event I move to someplace where the pinheads are doing a visual. Ergo, I am looking for pipe( Big Pipe) ;) after the CAT, on back. May have to take some long lunches and visit the exhaust shops around town.

Marty Lau
10-03-2004, 13:10
Tom;
Some guys have taken Durabux Take offs and fitted them to 6.5TD. Maybe you can do the same from the cat back, use a Durabux donnor system for parts and pipes. The pipe should be big enogu to do the job.

gmenor
10-03-2004, 15:29
JK,
IMHO I wouldn't try and make the tail pipe one piece. With kit the way it currently configured it made life really easy to install. As for longer - again it is long enough for me. I really like the ease of adjusting the tail pipe without having to adjust the entire system from the muffler back. By the way how much is it for another 3.5 muffler clamp? Damn right foot needs to be put on a diet.

sidedump
10-03-2004, 16:58
GMENOR, having tried to put my right foot on a diet with no success. I found if you take your shoe off while driving you dont push as hard. :D