PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on changing auto trans to manual

jdmetcalf57
09-26-2004, 16:33
I am planning on changing my auto trans 4L80E to a manual NV4500 in my K3500. I have been told the transfer case will bolt to the manual.
I will need a flywheel and clutch. I need some suggestions but the ones advertised on the diesel page for $384 don't sound too bad. Thinking I should use a single mass flywheel just because it is simpler.

Allstandard.com has rebuilt NV4500s for $1150 plus $250 core. I think they come with the bell housing but am not sure yet.

I am not going to worry about the instrument cluster. I think I will just black out the auto gear indicator and probably just remove the auto shifter.

The clutch pedal and hydraulic clutch actuator should be easy to get from local junkyards off of a 1/2 ton since manuals in w/t's are popular.

Not to sure about the service engine soon light. Maybe a reflash from a manual K3500 would take care of it. Otherwise I could take the bulb out but would like the ability to know if their is a pending engine problem.

Any help or suggestions from anybody would be greatly appreciated. Have I missed anything?

Also I will selling the auto if anyone is interested It seems fine and has 93K on it. However I will be accumulating all of the parts before I start but want to have it done before our annual christmas Florida trip. (if Florida is still there by then)

JeepSJ
09-27-2004, 10:35
While you are at the wrecking yard, pick up an ECU from a diesel with a manual trans - that should eliminate the re-flash.