PDA

View Full Version : Changing out oil pressure sender

Fshmn62
06-01-2004, 16:46
I have a 98 6.5 Suburban. Having intermittent stall prob.. Only happens within 5 minutes of startup and only at idle or coast situation. No code set. Changed fuel filter and it stopped doing it for a few days. Now looking at OPS as next cheapest cause. Is it possible to change ops without removing lower intake manifold. Can't seem to get ops socket on because it hits manifold runner. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

charliepeterson
06-01-2004, 17:30
You might have better access if you move the fuel filter housing bracket to the side. Sometimes a long extension on the socket can help.

Fshmn62
06-01-2004, 17:38
Thanks for input Charlie, tried your suggestion, only problem is I can't get socket on ops as it is about half way under rear most intake runner. Am thinking maybe I could get a Crows foot wrench on it?. Parts house wants $40.00 for a 1-1/16" size.

MEdlin
06-01-2004, 17:47
Fshmn62, that's the exact problem I'm having with my 94 Suburban. I do however encounter problems while at highway speed, but still within 5 miles of start. Keep us posted on how you get the oil pressure switch/sending unit out.

charliepeterson
06-01-2004, 18:23
Tim:

Sorry to hear about the lousy placement of the switch.

Do you have a OPS socket? Sometimes the thin wall on this socket can sneak onto the switch.

Kollin Syverson
06-01-2004, 19:02
I took my 1 1/16 open end wrench and made it about 4 or 5 inches long. Worked great at getting at the OPS.

SHEIDEN9
06-01-2004, 19:28
I recently had the same problem, nobody makes a socket that allows acess over the switch. so i cut a cheap 1-1/16 wrench and welded the end back at a 90 deg angle. removed the 2 bolts that hold the fuel filter assy on and got the switch out in about 5 mins. a lot of people say they can get the switch with a socket but i think that the angles of the switch vary a little from block to block

cudaaa
06-01-2004, 19:58
I just changed mine a few days ago. Go to orileys and buy a ops socket about $8.00 a long extention and swival. It took about 15 min and a couple of @$$#%@$ words and it was done. Good luck!!!! Cudaaa

Fshmn62
06-01-2004, 20:42
Well tried a bonafide ops socket still could not get it on ops. Think i will try cutting wrench and rewelding at 90 degree angle as suggested. will let you all know as soon as I succeed. Thamks for all of the suggestions.

BuffaloGuy
06-02-2004, 13:38
I've heard that a basin wrench will do it. It's a plumbers tool. Try it. I can get mine out with a bent wrench but I have the old '93 set-up.

ucdavis
06-03-2004, 11:47
I've used the basin wrench for some tight spot wrenching. I would easily recommend it for removing an old OPS, but for putting a new one on, you'd be grabbing the plastic case (most likely) and not the metal base (not recommendable procedure).
I found the OPS socket to be difficult to get on the switch while on the block, but w/patience it happended; you know when it drops on. Your application is different, but maybe it means more R&R of incidentals to do the job correctly?

mhagie
06-06-2004, 12:56
Gentlemen to put it bluntly the OEM sender unit location sucks.
When I installed the 94 block in my 84 cab it was all but impossible to install the sender unit,plus the fact I wanted a more accurate gauge I ran a Aeroquip SS braided Teflon line up to a 3 hole fuel block (Summit Racing) mounted it to firewall and installed senders in it.
Picture in my sig # MVC-26S.........Merle

Fshmn62
06-07-2004, 00:13
Well, I used UC's idea and the basin wrench worked, just have to be patient. Hardest part was getting new ops started down in that little hole. Started right up and let idle for 1/2 hour then test drove,then idle a bit more, no stalling so far but oil pressure shows lower at hot idle with this new unit than old. Also found oil cooler lines are beginning to leak pretty good. Any one make a better than OEM replacement for 98 4x4 Sub?. Thanks again to all of you that responded to my post.

Turbine Doc
06-07-2004, 00:34
Check out www.lubespecalist.com (http://www.lubespecalist.com) for new cooler lines, I also think JK has them www.kennedydiesel.com, (http://www.kennedydiesel.com,) plan on making a day of it for K1500 tighter fit than 2500 & 3500 4x4 filter adapter will have to be ground to make it fit.

Crows feet were all I could fit in the space to remove/install fittings on block maybe you could use some stubby wrenches in there. Need new adapter o rings I could only find those at my dealer.

[ 06-07-2004, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: tbogemirep ]

Kennedy
06-07-2004, 05:26
A bad OPS will seldom, if ever cause a stall. If an inoperative lift pump (air in fuel) were the cause, it is highly likely that several subsequent cold no starts will follow along with some very slurred operation.

Not a bad idea to change anyhow, but...

I should add that on my '96, I relocated to the behind the head location using the OEM brass adapter fitting just like the 94-5 models had...

[ 06-07-2004, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: kennedy ]