PDA

View Full Version : 95 6.5L turbo cutting out/stalling

george_01
06-02-2004, 08:05
Always wanted a diesel. Finally able to get one 2 weeks ago. Ran great for first week. Now I can't keep it running. Starts fine. Runs a few minutes to a few miles then shuts off. Restarts fine. I put a new fuel filter in it yesterday let it idle for an hour drove it around the block about one mile it ran fine. Went back last night to get it and quess what? It didn't make it a hundred yards and quit. Its a 1995 GMC 3/4 ton SLX 4x4 with 6.5L Turbo automatic trans. I love this truck. What is wrong with it? HELP PLEASE!

MTTwister
06-02-2004, 08:16
Always starting with the worst case - search this forum on PDM FSD - the little black box that drives the IP. How many miles? Then check members area on the IP extended warranty.

Now others with more knowledge can lead you through the proper sequence of tests before you jump right to the Failed IP conclusion.

Fuel Cap? Vacuum / pressure.
Test Fuel pump ( idle, open water bleed, see if it stalls.)
OPS ( oil Pressure Sensor) ( powers the fuel pump)
Water / Crud in fuel? Air in injector lines...

They'll chime in , if they haven't already.

Welcome Aboard - best location for knowledge and help.

george_01
06-02-2004, 08:37
Thanks for the reply! It has a lot of miles 273000. Dont have service records but believe that many miles were put on by a professional because body and interior are excellent. Fuel cap has a vaccume on it when I take it off. I'll start checking the other things you mentioned asap. Funny it ran fine on half tank of fuel that was in it when I bought it. Then I ran it close to empty and had it filled. Then problem started. Thanks again!

Phil Holmen
06-02-2004, 09:38
You may have just got bad fuel, not a bad idea to change the fuel filter seeing as you don't know the maintenance history anyway.

ucdavis
06-02-2004, 10:03
With a 95 you can check the computer for codes:
http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/trblcode.htm
Check them & post what comes up (even if its nothing).
For stalling check:
http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/tt99-9.htm
and run thru the checklist there, generally in the order presented is best.
If you decide you want to learn way more than a guy should know about FSD's try either:
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005199#000000
or:
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005013#000000
for a fascinating time.
Welcome aboard. Your 'new' diesel is way simpler, but different in a few major respects, than a gasser. I think you'll appreciate the simplicity.

MTTwister
06-02-2004, 11:23
george - Actually fuel tank should have a little pressure - make sure you have a DIESEL CAP. Also, try some additives - Power Service Grey bottle for summer.

Does sound like bad gas, unfortunately a fill-up is a LOT of bad gas redface.gif . Good Luck.

tom.mcinerney
06-03-2004, 18:59
Maintain fuel tank more than 1/2 full--it cools/lubes fuel injection pump, and cools FSD.

RLAM
06-03-2004, 19:12
Before you do all that stuff, check the ground wire on the pcm. if it is loose , thats what you get.mabe it could be something real simple

Slugblaster
06-03-2004, 19:16
The little black box at the injection pump is part #12562836 Fuel Driver. Mine went out this past weekend 200 miles from home. 207,000 miles on mine. $316.00 for the part. $312.00 for the labor.

RLAM
06-03-2004, 19:17
stupid me, forgot the good part. I sincerly hope that a whole bunch of pcm's have not been thrown away for this reason, but, I amtelling you this from my own experiance. Before you throw your pcm away,make sure you dont have a coroded or broken ground.I only found mine by accident. Cleaned and tightened, no more problems.

tom.mcinerney
06-03-2004, 20:07
RLAM--Are you talking Instrument Panel, rear engine harness, or eyelet near PCM by heater???

Marty Lau
06-04-2004, 12:41
Originally posted by Slugblaster:
The little black box at the injection pump is part #12562836 Fuel Driver. Mine went out this past weekend 200 miles from home. 207,000 miles on mine. $316.00 for the part. $312.00 for the labor. I hate to be the bearer of bad new but...... for less than that and an houre of your time or less you could have fixed it with a remote mount FSD/PMD from either Kennedy or Heath Diesel. I understand the issue of being away from home.

george_01
06-04-2004, 17:27
Guys you are the greatest! Been working long hours and haven't had time yet to check all. Last thing I checked was fuel. Should have been first. Have orange fuel!? Dont have a tester, but local garage is going to test for me Monday morning. Keep coming with the post's. I am learning a great deal from you folks and do greatly appreciate it! I will let you know as soon as I find out. THANKS....George

RLAM
06-04-2004, 18:42
Tom mac:
I don't know much about the harness. My application is a 97 trek motorhome and I found a loose ground at the pcm plug.Mine has a ground that is attatched to the top of the pump.After the install of the new engine and remote pcm cooler, it ran poorly and would cut out. Found the loose ground and cleaned and tightened and the problems went away.I guess this is just one of about 27million things that will cause a 6.5 to go bump in the dark.