PDA

View Full Version : Battery Cable Info - Dealer prices ! WOW !

Big Red Suburban
09-27-2004, 07:38
After I had trouble getting the suburban to start yesterday (seemed to crank over slower than normal) I took a look at the batteries and cables. Both battery's passed a load test (Interstate's ~4 years old), however the cable's were horribly corroded. I just cleaned these things up last year! I recleaned everything, used Dr. Lee's method to fasten everything, and coated everything with dielectric grease. Turns over much better, however the cables are due for replacement so I called the dealer to check prices. Here is what I found out...

Left-Neg (22") $32.15
Right-Neg (29") $19.36
Pos - Batt to starter (40") $70.72
Pos - Batt to Batt (87") $81.91

I believe I will be making my own cables from some welding cable and adding a nice new ground from the block to the frame just in case ;)

Dvldog 8793
09-27-2004, 09:30
I have made 2/0 battery cables for all my rigs and friends trucks also. I am currently working on an article to post hear and should be sending it to More Power within a week.
I make them with crimp on lugs and 2/0 welding or battery cable.
L8r
Conley Janssen

JeepSJ
09-27-2004, 10:32
I used 2/0 welding cable when I made some for my CJ. I'll be doing the same for the Wag. Total cost for the cables on the CJ was about $20 and I have cables that will probably outlast the Jeep. Very flexible, extremely high strand count, and heat resistant insulation - all good stuff.

Big Red Suburban
09-27-2004, 10:49
How did you handle the cables where there is also a smaller ground wire for the body ground? Did you crimp the 2/0 cable along with the smaller one in the same lug or did you use a seperate cable and lug for the smaller cable and just land the two lugs at the battery?

Local welding store only wants $1.88/ft for the 2/0 welding cable :D

Dvldog 8793
09-27-2004, 11:05
Howdy
All wires were crimped into each connector I have no seperate connections. At post I put one extra wire to use for misc "stuff". I used all top post connectors(Optima red top batteries) as they have fewer problems and can be serviced easier. My setup was about $70 total that includes all connectors/cable/self-sealing heat shrink ect... It does not include common shop supplies like copper never-seez, battery cleaner, connection protection ect... I rented the crimper as they run about $75 :eek:
Hope this helps.
L8r
Conley Janssen

JeepSJ
09-27-2004, 21:33
I'm using the marine style lugs - they have a post and a wing nut. I crimped an eye onto the end of the big cable, then made a separate short 10ga cable for the body ground. Both cables fit over the stud and are secured with the wing nut.

jcomp
09-28-2004, 06:59
I've converted 2 K5s to 4/0 cable, including mine. Both had a noticable increase in cranking speed. I also put in a ford starter solenoid so I only have one cable going down to the starter. I moved the fusible links up to the solenoid (which is mounted on the fenderwell). I also used top post terminals. Luckily a buddy of mine had a crimper I could borrow. I got all the terminals off e-bay.

This summer one of the cables, the batt to batt, broke its mounting and bounced into the engine fan. It stopped the fan and all the cable had to show for it was a clean spot where the fan hit it.