PDA

View Full Version : Mech water temp gage

cudaaa
06-03-2004, 15:42
Where is the best place to tap into the water jacket? Where the stock sensor is, driver side head? Any help greatly appreciated Cudaaa

tom.mcinerney
06-03-2004, 19:16
Both heads identical. A pipe plug fills the sender hole in the other (psgr side my 95) head. That would be rear psgr side head.

As far as 'best' , do you mean optimistic, or pessimistic?

A tee in the heater line might work, too.

cruzer
06-04-2004, 09:53
Seeing that my GM gauge was way off I decided to remove GM sender and install mechanical gauge, I didn't want to buy a sender and a mech gauge.
FYI, You may have to get a different fitting to screw in the head. The one supplied w/the mech gauge didn't fit. I had to get one from autometer.
The pass side is another option but same threads.

Peter J. Bierman
06-04-2004, 14:30
I have my sender in the coolant crossover and rerouted the heater hose to the rear off the righthand head.
Purpose is the crossover is the last point in the system before the coolant leaves the engine and had the most time to pick up heat.

Peter

mhagie
06-04-2004, 22:26
On my 84 I have experimented with several locations for temp senders and I have decided to use the stock location Left head for my new digital gauge sender and install the factory sender in a tee at the heater hose connection on crossover pipe.
On the 84 the right head has the fast idle and pump advance temp switch so is not available.
I have found that the rear plates are worthless for an accurate temp reading as the temp there is 15-20* colder than at the original sender locations on the sides of the head or at crossover.
I have drained and refilled the radiator during this experiment more times than I care to remember.
Peter, I am surprised that your heater works to satisfaction using the rear location.....Merle

Peter J. Bierman
06-05-2004, 13:25
Merle,

If your messurments showed like 15 deg. lower at the coverplate and at the crossover, it should not make any differance where I take the heater coolant from, right? ;)

But since coolant flows from the back off the head to the front, I am suprised the temp is lower at the crossover.

Peter

Peter J. Bierman
06-05-2004, 13:27
Sorry, didn't read right redface.gif

Peter