PDA

View Full Version : Fluiddamper harmonic balancer

GMC Hauler
09-27-2004, 09:35
If anyone is interested, i contacted Fluiddampr and they hope to have a fluiddampr harmonic balancer for sale by the end of the year....

Dvldog 8793
09-27-2004, 09:37
Howdy
What are the benefits??

GMC Hauler
09-27-2004, 09:45
My understanding is that the silicone damper is a better damper than the stock rubber and steel ring at reducing vibrations. From all my reading, the 6.5 is not that well balanced. I'm not going into the engine just to balance it, but I am going to replace the balancer when I put the high flow water pump on and the timing gear. You can check out there site at http://www.fluidampr.com/ .

BigDiesel
09-27-2004, 10:19
I'd be interested.

Billman
09-27-2004, 11:55
I have run their Balancers on my Race Engines for over 15 years.

I've never had any problems...

MTTwister
09-27-2004, 12:13
On another board, there are differing opinions on fluid-dampers. Particularly when thay are operated in colder temp - the silicone doesn't distribute itself well. Anyone over here experienced that?

Billman
09-27-2004, 12:33
Yes. I have heard of that. Some Crankshaft failures have been blamed on the Fluidampr. Don't know if it was proven or not. Just blamed.

Viscous fluid must be warmed up before extreme use. So I am told.

I'm not sure if this info relates to our low RPM diesels though.

84 Convert
09-27-2004, 19:17
At a local race shop, they showed me a Summit forged crank snapped off with the fluidamp'r still attatched, but as you say, how do you prove it? May have been a faulty crank.

Gregg

RT
09-27-2004, 19:21
I got a hard time believeing that the rubber in a factory damper is any more pliable at sub zero temps than the silicone fluid in a Fluidampr. I would think the Fluidampr would also warm up quicker due to the internal friction/action. RT

eracers999
09-27-2004, 20:01
Cummins uses a silicone fluid damper mfg by fluidamper, i have used one for all my racing engines and would love to have one for my 6.5 end of story. I am of opinion that they have the best damper out there.

Kent

tom.mcinerney
09-27-2004, 20:12
I have no knowledge of the fluid dampers.

I once chatted with an engineer about an experience he had with silicone lubricant in aircraft applications. The lube was on actuators, forget whether flaps or landing gear...think the former. He reported the lube mfgr specified the lube for application at required temps.
In practice on the aircraft, it was determined that at low temperatures the lube aggregated into particles which acted as an abrasive, causing wear problems on the assembly in question. I forget just when problem developed, think 0*F to -20*F....That was some time ago.

Dvldog 8793
09-28-2004, 03:42
Howdy
FYI: Sent an email to them, fast response. :D

Conley, we manufacture dampers with the same fluid for Detroit Diesel, Cummins, Caterpiller, and many other diesel engines that are used every day in these conditions.

Fred

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 4:44 PM
To: support@fluidampr.com
Subject: 6.5 GM diesel

Sir/Mam

I am considering using a fluid damper on my truck. I live in Northern Minnesota and am wondering how well your product works in extreme cold, -30 to -50*F? Does the fluid need to be warmer than that to function properly? Thanks for your time!

Conley Janssen
USMC 87-93

dieseldummy
04-13-2005, 14:48
Just a bump to the top. Has anyone heard more about this product. It seems that I am in need of a harmonic balancer and would like to try something out besides the same old thing.

Justin

MJEasly
04-13-2005, 17:24
About a month ago I sent an email to Fluidampr asking if they had a fluidampr for my application. Fred Roland, a fluidampr / vibratech rep, indicated not at this time. Maybe next year?

JoeyD
04-14-2005, 04:24
They have them out for the 6.6 and the 7.3 and 5.9 diesels just not the 6.5

gmctd
04-14-2005, 06:26
The delay in releasing the fd for the 6.5 could be due to minimal 6.5 market share, but - each of those engines mentioned are blessed with a forged steel crankshaft of herculean proportion, as compared to the 6.5 crank.

Check out the sizing of the 'small' 5.9L\360cuin six-cylinder Cummins crank, compared to 6.5 crank dimensions, for an awe-inspiring experience.

GMC Hauler
04-14-2005, 10:07
I sent them an email yesterday:

Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 8:15 PM
To: support@fluidampr.com
Subject: Email Inquiry from Fluidampr.com

I contacted you guys last year to find out if you carried or would carry a fluidamper for a GM 1996 6.5 turbo diesel. At the time, you stated that it would be available in December 2004. I do not see it on your site as of yet, and was curious as to whether you were going to still supply one?

Thanks in Advance

And here's what i got:

Roger, sorry for advising the wrong information. We are currently developing a Fluidampr for the 6.6 DuraMax. We are aware of the issues with the 6.5 GM Diesel and plan to consider a Fluidampr for that engine as well however there is no schedule for it yet.

Fred Roland

Fluidampr / Vibratech TVD

(716) 592-1000