PDA

View Full Version : Home Biodiesel production...

roosterjuicer
10-11-2005, 07:22
i was looking at a couple home biodiesel kits. does anyone have any first hand knowledge of home biodiesel production? is it a pain to get the cooking oil from restaurants or wherever? does anyone reccomend any kit in particular? any other tips or advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Cowracer
10-11-2005, 07:56
A kit is not neccesary. You can home build a reactor for a couple hundred bux

everything you need to know...

Biodiesel Community Link (http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/)

Tim

sk8rdi16
10-12-2005, 06:35
Getting the veg from restraunts is super easy! I have been running straight veg for almost a year and 15k miles. I plan to build the AppleSeed processor soon. Look for Dana Linscott's suction-gathering plans
http://vegoilconversions.netfirms.com/
go to the free files.
Its cheap and easy.

Good Luck with the BioD

arveetek
10-12-2005, 12:36
The best advice I can give is to read, read, read. There's lots of info on the 'net regarding bio-diesel production.

My dad has set up an entire bio-diesel processor, wash tub, and drier operation. He just finished his first batch (45 gallons) and is heading out of town on a trip to try it out. When he gets back, we're going to start ramping up production to keep all 4 our diesel vehicles filled up.

Getting the used oil is probably the most annoying part of making your own fuel. It's just a hassle, really. But it pays off. We're still working on getting some more oil suppliers, but we've already got 2 resteraunts and the local community college cafeteria on our side.

Casey

Barry Nave
10-13-2005, 02:07
sterauntWe're still working on getting some more oil suppliers, but we've already got 2 resteraunts and the local community college cafeteria on our side.

What I'm running into,trying to get set up,is so many seem to be using a type of oil that is creamy and does not seem to be SVO at first.
Only one so far that does for it's dark in color and not whiteish. This is just bin hopping to take a see before asking.
One store(Chester fried chicken) goes through alot but when ask they say it a cream style oil :confused:
Have not check with KFC. What type of food chain resteraunt should I be looking for?
The only one so far is a chinna resteraunt.

arveetek
10-13-2005, 11:34
The 2 restaurants we're getting oil from are both using standard vegetable oil, like you use in your own kitchen. It comes in large 5 gallon containers.

We found out that McDonald's oil is useless. It's been strained and re-used so much that they ruin it.

You cannot use the kind of oil that comes in blocks and then is melted down. It's actually animal fat, like Crisco.

Our two local restaurants are just your run-of-the-mill 'good old boy' locally-owned eateries. One fries a bunch of catfish, chicken, and french fries, so they go through a lot of oil.

Casey

restoguy
10-16-2005, 21:05
You can actually use ANY kind of natural oil. Even animal fat. The university of Texas(if my memory serves) made 500 gallon from beef fat just to say they did. The only issue is that you have to melt the solid stuff into a liquid before the reaction. Kind of a hassle if you can get the vegetable(liquid) oil to start with. As said before, read-read-read! There's a lot of info out there. This is not new technology by any means, but there's a lot of different opinions about what's the best. Keep the rest of us posted with your experiences. The more info the better for everybody.