PDA

View Full Version : Injector Torque

Cowracer
06-04-2004, 07:32
Is there a torque setting for installing new injectors, or is it like some spark plugs with a "hand tight, then 1/4 turn more" kinda thing?

Actually, if anyone has a step-by-step procedure for changing injectors, I'd sure like to read it.

Thanks!
Tim

damork
06-04-2004, 08:19
I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I know there was a torque value. It was not a torque and turn method as I recall.

I pulled my turbo as well to get at the passenger side injectors and to avoid mangling the heat shield as I am very anal about not bending and hacking up the original layout. I know it has been done with the turbo in place, but I won't go that route. It really makes access to the lines and the injectors much cleaner. Outside of that, try to get as much as possible clean as you can before you start breaking open the lines - you don't want those tiny particles getting into your new injectors. I learned the hard way once.

More Power
06-04-2004, 08:20
Torque specs:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/torque.htm

MP

Marty Lau
06-04-2004, 08:30
Nozzels to head 44-60 ft lbs
lines to nozzels 18-24 ft lbs

I also removed Turbo it's tough enough messing around with the turbo off and I can remove the Turbo fairly qucik anymore. Get JK's return line kit it doesn't need those little phoney clamps that was the biggest PIA in changing injectors.
After you get it all put together lossen the injector lines on the injectors on the driver side and the front on the passenger side crank engine for about 30-40 seconds to purge air from lines tighten lines and start, it will run rough until all the air is out but only a minute or two.

two other things that will help. MAKE SURE YOUR ENGINE IS COLD or only warm if it's hot you will get burned. Also take a minute to get yourself in the proper mind set for working in tight spots.

Tim; Also consider changing glow plugs if your due as while you have Turbo and heat sheild off once you won't have to do it again for long time.

Cowracer
06-04-2004, 09:52
Originally posted by 16ga SxS:

Tim; Also consider changing glow plugs if your due as while you have Turbo and heat sheild off once you won't have to do it again for long time. YESH! I had though about that. I dont hate 'doing' job like that nearly as much as I hate 'starting' one. (If that makes any sense to ya'all)

T

Kennedy
06-04-2004, 11:47
I good bath with a pressure washer and degreaser down both banks goes a LONG way to a maintaining a happy mood...

tom.mcinerney
06-05-2004, 02:26
Since half my reman injectors leaked (rebuilder had a phone call?) i got to r&r turbo twice. Mine sat on studs in the ex manifold. I replaced the studs with bolts from the top down. That enables easier R&R of turbo with In Man in place, as it slides/rotates into/out of position.

The turbo/ex man gasket comes in felpro exhaust man gasket kit. It is stainless steel, a sheet stamping with a groove in center channel. I used a dull screwdriver to remake groove, allowing reuse; my new is 'spare'.