PDA

View Full Version : Wiper problems

Beedee
06-06-2004, 10:52
Greetings all. Several months ago I saw a post re: wiper board repairs. I've done a search, but I can't seem to find the post that I was looking for. I'm having the wipers work when they want, not when I want problem.
The posts that I did find basicly said to resolder the conections on the board. I thought that there was another post that was a bit more detailed. Anybody know where it went, or am I just in my usual state of confusion???? :rolleyes: :confused:
Once again, thanks in advance.
Brian

HowieE
06-06-2004, 11:57
Your wipers are covered under a GM recall. Check with any dealer.

VinDiesel
06-06-2004, 12:01
I had to search for the info too as I need to get in gear and fix the ^@$%@% problem. I found http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004840
and
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005954
and
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004858.

In case the links don't work, the trick I used was to search using the single word "solder"! Hope this helps...

VinDiesel
06-06-2004, 12:08
And one more...

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004407

BTW, I see from HowieE that a recall was issued on this problem; also, note post by Calvin60 in t=5954 that the recall ENDED(!$%$(@_(!) with the '97 models. So, either we fix ourselves or perhaps find a dealer with a, with a, a, conscience. Cheers.

Turbine Doc
06-06-2004, 13:40
Recall stopped in 97, my 98 has same problem but dealer won't budge even though they know full well it's same problem.

VinDiesel
06-06-2004, 14:01
Reporting back... just pulled the wwm cover and CB; found red grease everywhere; assuming post that cleaned this up fixed their problem I too cleaned it up and put the grease back on the worm gear (ref: sailun, t=4858); no joy. Pulled CB, soldered 5 of the pads at the connector; wiper worked no washer. Soldered the remaining two pads at the connector (you can see this by noting which solder joints seem to "go into" the black connector block on top of the CB); joy - wiper AND wash work (in other words, olbooker in t=4858 is right, there are 7 pads to be worked on.) Thanks to you all who posted re this problem.

Beedee
06-06-2004, 14:11
Just went out and pulled the cover to see what was inside, everything was working when I took it apart, had to give it a rap with my knuckle when I put the cover back on as it wasn't working, but I could hear a noise coming from the motor. Have to wait until tomorow to get my elect stuff from work.
HOPE IT DOSEN'T RAIN :eek: :eek: :eek:
They don't call it the WET COAST for nothing :D
Brian

catmandoo
06-06-2004, 16:28
yeah on occasion mine doesn't work on my 94,i just pop the hood and smack the motor and away she goes.for what rain we get it doesn't really bother me.i hope to trade it off before i have to fix it.

Dewey Faircloth
06-06-2004, 17:19
If you just put a ground wire on one of the bolts you took out to remove cover wipers will work.

whatnot
06-06-2004, 21:55
Try giving the local dealer a call.
I had about a year ago and they said it wasn't covered but then I tried again a few weeks ago and it had an open recall on it. (I think from the begining of the year)
Only took them a few minutes to do and I didn't need an appointment.
I could have resoldered it like I did on my brother's '94 but never got around to it.

Beedee
06-07-2004, 12:24
Just got off the phone to the local dealer. He said that the recall ended with 97's. Mabey they just haven't got up to the great white north yet.
No problem, I'll just bring my electrical box hom from work tonight and do it my self. Weather forcast is for sun for the next few days :D
Brian

Bill Voitel
06-08-2004, 17:47
Dewey has the easy & most economical fix for this problem. Worked on my 92 gasser burb

JohnC
06-09-2004, 05:36
Originally posted by Bill Voitel:
Dewey has the easy & most economical fix for this problem. Worked on my 92 gasser burb This fix only works if the ground wire is the only one that has failed. In mine, 3 wires had failed, as well as the one posted above with both wiper and washer failure. Resoldering the whole connector only takes about 5 minutes and prety much guaranties success.

Beedee
06-10-2004, 10:50
Well I finaly got around to "THE FIX" today, took 15 min max. Had 4 cracked terminals that you could see, so just to be safe did all 7. Works the right way now. Now if it would only rain........ :D
Hard to type with bandaid on fingers :rolleyes:
Brian