PDA

View Full Version : I was a "Doubting Thomas"

Spindrift
06-06-2004, 16:48
Now that the wallet has all but dried up for any new, significant mods, I've been looking for a few R&M items to sink my teeth into. Yeah, I know, should have been the other way around.

A while back, I looked at HowieE's web site, saw that scuzzy radiator of his and figured that was something I would take a look at. But when I did, my radiator and coolers looked good so I scratched that job off the list.

Fast forward a couple of months to this weekend. Here in NJ, it seems as though its been raining for 40 days and 40 nights. This afternoon I went outside and I could see my breath! It's June 6th and the thermometer read an astoundingly cool 56*. Gotta' move south. Anyway, I had run out of things to do so I figured I'd take a crack at cleaning the radiator.

Howie was kind enough to lend me his Master Blaster (aka "Hydro-Air Washer") which he modified to include a long copper spray wand. I bought some Greased Lightning Orange Blast at Pep Boys and I was ready. First, I warmed the engine to operating temperature, removed the fan shroud and loosened all of the brackets so that I could get the wand down and between the radiator and coolers, applied the Orange Blast, and waited.

My first attempt at using the Master Blaster was rather comical since the combination of water pressure and air pressure nearly ripped the thing out of my hand. I knew I wasn't going to be effective by myself so I enlisted the aid of my son to work the handle while I directed the wand.

Then the fun began. Since I couldn't see what, if any combination of dirt, bugs, leaves and other matter was coming out the front, I was relying on my son for a status report. It didn't take too long before the look on his face told the story. Almost immediately he said, "Dad, it's really dirty!" I was thinking to myself, "C'mon, how dirty could it be. It didn't look dirty." So we switched places.

What can I say. The amount of absolute crap that was flushed out was absolutely unbelievable and the "water" was just about black. I almost felt guilty for not digging a big whole to bury all of the carcasses that had piled up on my grille, bumper and the ground. Fortunately, none of the PETA folks witnessed what had happened.

I'm now the newest member of the Hydro-Air Washer Fan Club. The whole process made a believer out of me.

For those of you planning to haul heavy loads this summer, if you haven't already taken a crack at it, think about cleaning those radiators and coolers. You just might be glad you did.

And thanks again to Howie for lending his Master Blaster to me. This gizzmo is very cool.

EWC
06-06-2004, 18:05
Same thing happened to me when I bought a 95 2500 with a blown head gasket and almost 180,000 on it . Ended up needing both heads and got me to thinking why the gaskets got popped . Pulled front end and grill apart to see and got the 1/2 plugged view . Took me a couple of hours with the air hose to clean it all out . The amount of crud that accumulates is incredible !

Bobbie Martin
06-06-2004, 18:17
It's June 6th and the thermometer read an astoundingly cool 56*. Gotta' move south. Here in sunny Florida, at 10:30 PM the temp is 81 with 72% humidity! If you can take the heat in the summertime (its not even REAL hot yet!) the winters are much better here.

markrinker
06-07-2004, 03:29
Here in the land of 10,000 lakes, and 10,000,000 bugs we plug up pretty fast in the summer.

Most of the time, I take take the radiator out to make things easier. Haven't done this with my '94s. Are the radiators easily removed? On my gassers, it was only a 20 minute job.

Spindrift
06-07-2004, 04:02
Mark,

I'm only speaking in reference to my '98. It wouldn't be difficult to remove my radiator, but I didn't see the need. Once my brackets were removed there was plenty of room. The coolers on the other hand are a different story. Packed tightly behind the grille. Removal of these wouldn't be fun. There was enough space between the radiator and coolers to allow for the crud to drop to the bottom. That's when my son's skinnier arm came in handy.

markrinker
06-07-2004, 07:23
...another advantage of the over-the-road rigs. Huge frontal area for massively oversized radiators, intercoolers, etc...!

whatnot
06-07-2004, 09:26
Originally posted by Mark Rinker:
Here in the land of 10,000 lakes, and 10,000,000 bugs we plug up pretty fast in the summer.
I think you need more zeros on the bug number. I drove over to Austin, MN last summer and I think I got more than 10,000,000 bugs on my windshield. :D

CaseyR
06-07-2004, 15:59
Don't remember what car I was working on, but many years back I went to blow out my radiator with an air hose and quickly realized that I was just folding over the thin aluminum fins. Haven't tried it since. It would seem that a full-on pressure washer might do the same. Any problems or any suggestions on how to avoid damaging the fins? They are a mite tedious to straighten...

Spindrift
06-07-2004, 17:13
Casey,

To tell you the truth, I was worried about the exact same thing, so I did a "test" in the upper corner of the radiator. I worked the wand progressively closer to the fins and no damage. I've seen radiator fins that were about as strong as aluminum foil. These fins are stout.

moondoggie
06-08-2004, 08:25
Good Day!

When I did my kid's 89 pickup, I found the A/C condenser fins to be VERY fragile - our water hose would fold them over. The radiator itself I don't think you could hurt.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044