PDA

View Full Version : Gas Mileage

Dan Nicholas
02-15-2004, 08:08
Hi Everyone,

I have a 1996 6.5 TD 2500 pickup (approx 124,000 miles). Recently, I installed a boost gauge and have been monitoring my gas mileage and boost. From some of the articles I've read, I'm getting the impression others get better mileage than myself. Here's what I found with mine (winter driving in New England):

1). Avg Highway Mileage 13.8 to 14.8
2). Avg driving speed 68 to 72 mph
3).Boost usually at 5 lbs (up to 10 when putting my foot into it).

Is this what everyone else is getting? Maybe it's just me, but it seems low.

Is there any suggestions for getting better mileage (I know, I know....drive slower).

Thanks in advance for any comments!

rjwest
02-15-2004, 15:17
I usually got around 16 empty on a 96 1 ton
when it had 4.10 gears, switched to 3.73
and it improved slightly with 1 interstate
run in florida at 18.7.

BUT, in maine last Nov got terrible milage,
about 14 empty, Probably Winter fuel ...

I also notice less milage with some truck stop fuel in the south, lower cetane.

Dan Nicholas
02-15-2004, 21:46
Originally posted by rjwest:
I usually got around 16 empty on a 96 1 ton
when it had 4.10 gears, switched to 3.73
and it improved slightly with 1 interstate
run in florida at 18.7.

BUT, in maine last Nov got terrible milage,
about 14 empty, Probably Winter fuel ...

I also notice less milage with some truck stop fuel in the south, lower cetane. Hi Rjwest! I have 3.73's in my 2500 also. Seems your result last Nov. in Maine is inline with what I get most of the winter in New England. About 14 mpg. Thanks for the info!!!

whatnot
02-15-2004, 22:34
It makes a big difference how you drive. My mileage is nothing to brag about :D
Also, if you have bigger tires than the truck came with then the odometer might be off making it look worse than it actually is.

moondoggie
02-16-2004, 09:24
Good Day!

You might want to look att my post in What's your fuel mileage with a load? (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=004439#000014) (Click in colored text.)

You might want to get familiar with the

Dan Nicholas
02-17-2004, 10:09
Thanks Moondoggie for the link to your post. It was informative, and judging from everyone's comments there, I'm not doing too bad for mpg.

Dan Nicholas
02-17-2004, 10:12
Hey Moondog, I noticed you once had a Gear Vendors overdrive on one of your trucks. Just curious, do you feel it was worth purchasing? I've looked at it several times for many of my past and present vehicles (RVs, car...). Did it hold up to any abuse and do you feel it made a big difference mpg etc ?

moondoggie
02-28-2004, 08:25
Good Day!

If you click on the link in my last post, the effect of the Gear Vendor on mpg is explained in painful, boring detail. It'll never pay for itself in fuel savings (I figure ≈ 2 mpg), but it has other benefits. At highway speeds, you can't hear the engine at all.

I've had zero issues with it. The company has been nothing short of great to work with. I bought it used from a DP member, & had it rebuilt by them.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

C.K. Piquup
02-29-2004, 07:54
I have a 2.25gal gas can in my bed for my generator.Drove around all week,still full.The same with the tank on the generator.The only time it seems to use gas is when truck is parked and then only on the jobs w/no electric.My fuel mileage ranges between 15-19 mpg,depending on driving style.If I push throttle to floor,15mpg.If I push throttle 1"+/-,18-19mpg.Depends on terrain and hiway or back roads.

Lug
03-01-2004, 17:41
With everyone asking about gas milage it might be handy to have a separate section for this. Then those of us who are obsessed with getting the most out of a gallon of rotten dino would have a place to post and lurk without chasing all over the web. Just a thought (which costs nothing) from someone who is barely confuser literate.
Justin

Marty Lau
03-02-2004, 07:54
GAS MILEGE IN A 6.5 TURBO DIESEL IS ABOUT 1/4 TO 1/2 MILE ON A QUART OR MORE. THEY DON'T RUN ON GASOLINE!!!!! :eek: :eek: FUEL....FUEL, FUEL, DIESEL FUEL!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lug
03-02-2004, 09:34
Oh a thousand pardons oh keeper of the lexicon smile.gif
I have to remind myself that each type of vehicle has a different vocabulary to use. I still have to remind myself that the injector pump is not known as a fuel control unit and the lift pump is not called a boost pump. Comes from 40 hrs a week around aircraft. Still would be nice to have a section for FUEL milage like the towing guys have.
Justin

Marty Lau
03-02-2004, 13:56
Justin;
Believe me I understand, I keep thinking Manifold Pressure and Inches of Mercury, not Boost pressure and PSI.......HOWEVER.... see what happens when a line guy fuels a Cessna T210 with Jet-A. If we talk about getting gas and gas mileage some maybe not you or I but kid or Wife maybe will fill up with GAS instead of Diesel fuel. There has been a number of posts of it happening. I just think that if we try to stay in a "Diesel" mind set it might prevent some miss fuelings. Also it was also posted with tounge FIRMLY planted in cheek! tongue.gif

OBTW were about in Montana are you?

The Mileage Forum idea does have meritt, send Jim (More Power) an e-mail.
The search function helps too in reasearch give it a go, really helps getting quick answers.

moondoggie
03-02-2004, 15:33
Good Day!

Fuel economy is a major interest of mine, but I'm not sure you'll see enough interest for a separate forum. Most folks here have diesel trucks because: 1) they wouldn't drive anything else; 2) they like the sound; 3) the diesel will pull anything they put behind it; & 4) (last) the fuel economy while doing what they're going to do anyway is lots better than gas.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

Lug
03-03-2004, 09:21
In the large and thriving metropolis of Roundup. Actually I got into diesels exactly for the economey and fuel milage reasons. I have a couple of diesel Rabbits. Not the fastest rigs on the planet, but they get 40 to 50 mpg at 65-70 mph. Just bought a 94 K2500 'burb with 6.5 td to haul my crew around (4 boys 5 to almost 1). Again because of the economy and as former neighbor said about his diesel Olds, "this rig travels to far to be gas". The extended family extends from Calgary AB to Villa Corona Mexico, so I need a rig that gets good fuel milage and can handle any goat trail. As far as search goes the problem is all the different ways people say things you might miss the post you need, as an example, fuel milage, gas milage, mpg, etc. That is why I suggested a seperate section in the forum for this topic.
Justin

Marty Lau
03-04-2004, 09:11
LUG;
Good luck to you on the Suburban Tell us more and keep posting smile.gif