PDA

View Full Version : very low boost

mwilcox
06-07-2004, 13:26
well guys here it is, I just installed new boost/ pyro gauges and I am only getting 2.5 lbs of boost on full acceleration, lots of smoke. Bill is sending turbo master and max-e tork. I've tried wiring the waste gate up & down but still only get 2.5. I know the vacuum is probaly weak thus the reason I ordered the TM. does any one think these products will get the boost up? I've also ordered a new turbo from Bill but he doesnt think thats the problem. Has any one had a turbo go bad. :confused:

Marty Lau
06-07-2004, 14:25
MWlicox, Turbo is proablly not your problem, the vaccum system that operates the Waste gate controler is prone to problems and is not that un common. It's been said a number of times if your Turbo is working at all then it's something else.
A number of us have gone the Turbo Master & MaxiTork route and I for one am very happy with how it works. After a while of using it and if your happy with it you might consider removing your vaccum pump and putting a 1993 belt on. Vaccum pumps have been known to seize and cause belts to be broken.
Also Welcome aboard! When posting questions it is practice to let us know about the truck your inquiring about.

mwilcox
06-07-2004, 15:05
1996 GMC Sub 2500 (factory installed cooling mods)Kennedy cross over and exhaust system-Bilstein shocks- issopro boost/egt gauges(A-pillar)- 1998 Terry 31G TT

patrick m.
06-07-2004, 16:27
if you used a wire to hold the wastegate in place and still got low boost, you must have a different problem. I would try to wire it shut again for good measure, if no help, you will need to inspect the inlet tract and outlet tract of the turbo (intake filter sys, and exhaust sys).
make sure you have a free flowing....both!
if your truck has a cat converter, check for restriction. low boost, and black smoke are both symptoms of a plugged converter.

dstoops
06-08-2004, 05:12
Hey 16ga,
Does the vacuum pump only run the W/gate or would removing it affect the operation of the A/C controls etc?
Dean

mwilcox
06-08-2004, 13:26
I think the 96 uses the vacuum only for the WG. I no longer have a cat however with this boost problem I do have a dog. I have tried disconnecting the air box/filter, it didn't help. I hope to find a pkg from Bill when I get home. Until then all I can think to do is try and send a picture of my old cat!

Marty Wilcox

mwilcox
06-08-2004, 17:49
YESS!!! ups delivered the new TM and turbo, which I will be sending back to Bill tomorrow because after I installed the TM and went out to take a test drive I thought I would pick up a couple hitchhikers,maybe you all know them, Borg & Warner. That was the sweetest ride that burb has taken me on for quite some time. Boost went right up to 8lbs and no more smoke. Can't wait till tomorrow when the new computer (max e tork ecm) arrives and I can put the darker spring on the TM. Thats right I got rid of both the cat and the dog and tomorrow I'll have a bunch more horses.BTW you guys over on the 'Heath performance program' topic, both John and Bill are my heroes tonite they have improved my ride and provided excellent performance products that we all need. Did I mention that vacuum sucks. :D

Marty Lau
06-09-2004, 08:27
MWillcox;
It's great when your ride runs better! Keep us posted on the new ECM!!! :cool:

Marty Lau
06-09-2004, 08:30
Originally posted by dstoops:
Hey 16ga,
Does the vacuum pump only run the W/gate or would removing it affect the operation of the A/C controls etc?
Dean Also runs EGR sensors if you got EGR from what little I know. But, the vaccum doesn't run the heater/AC controls, nor does it run brakes, or anything else. Sooooo, my vaccum pump went to the land fill.

patrick m.
06-10-2004, 18:29
glad to hear the good news Marty! I also would like to say that i got a kick out of the humor you used in your "lost dog" post. :D
I imagine we will enjoy many of your posts in the future ;)
welcome!