PDA

View Full Version : DMAX.....Might do it

JKMUSS
05-22-2005, 07:12
Hello to all, I currently own a ford with a 6.0. I am having some major issues with it. I am considering purchasing a GMC with the duramax in it. My question is, is there anything to look out for or really monitor? I am new to GM products and would appreciate any advice on problems that the duramax is having. I DON'T want to end up with another truck that has to go back to the dealer every month for a year with major issues and not get them resolved. I pull trailers almost daily and need something reliable. Thanks in advance for any advice.

JOHN

More Power
05-22-2005, 18:14
Welcome to the BB!

I recommend visiting your local GM dealership, and have a discussion with the service manager about their diesel experience and general service history. Approached correctly, he'll answer you questions, and you'll be able to get some sort of idea what level of expertise is available at that dealership should you need help in the future.

Good luck,

MP

tanker
05-24-2005, 01:17
John, not to say you won't have problems, but I say its safe to say GM has got a good solid combo, the DuraMax / Allison. I think Ford is having its issues with the new 6.0 and its new Torq-Shift transmission. We looked at the big three when we made our choice for another GM product. We felt the Ford had the most room, bigger cab, but with the new 6.0 and Torq-Shift, I avoided it. We looked at Dodge with the great Cummins, but again it lacked a good solid automatic transmission. (we did not want a manual) plus at that time the quad cab was too small for us.
The GM has had the DuraMax out since 01, and Allison has been around for many years, plus we figured that most of the bugs had been worked out by 05. I would test drive one at your GM dealer and also checkout their service department, as More Power mentioned above.
You came to the right place for good information. Wish you well in your choice. smile.gif

rjschoolcraft
05-24-2005, 04:59
You can use the "search" feature of the BB here to find about anything you want to know. There are some horror stories, but largely the trucks seem to do well. I have a friend with an O1 with over 125,000 miles. Been to the dealer twice, most recently two months ago to get a full set of injectors. He loves his truck.