PDA

View Full Version : Gauge ranges

FinSub97
02-15-2004, 23:39
I am about to install a couple of gauges on A pillar. I have thought of the following gauges: Autometer Sport-Comp ATM-3361 Fuel Pressure and ATM-3376 Boost/Vacuum.

Questions:

1) Does anyone have any experience on these two?

2) What kind of ranges should I expect (are those good choices in terms of available range)?

3) Summitracing does not list any dual pod pillar for K1500 Suburban 1997. Does anyone know if ATM-17102 (dual pod full pillar) fits in?

Thanks in advance,
Jari

pannhead
02-16-2004, 09:01
dont forget the pyrometer....knowing your EGT is very important

ucdavis
02-17-2004, 17:13
Ditto on the EGT gauge- probably most important gauge next to coolant temp to keep from killing your investment.
There are 3-gauge pillar mounts available; my application is different so you'll have to get source from somebody else.
I have AutoMeter gauges & they work great (Phantom series, but the gauge parts are all the same and the series only vary by look). Got 'em thru Mach V Motorsports (do a google search) for a decent price & I seem to remember they have pillar mounts too.
Boost range should be 0-15 min; 0-30 will get a half scale reading if you're modded out & really boosting.
Fuel pressure should be ~6 lbs so get one where that will show on the scale.
EGT's all run to about 1600 which puts us about 2/3 scale w/top EGT's unless you're really cooking your engine or you have top-notch intercooling.
I like a gauge scale that runs actual ranges @ about 1/2 to 2/3 of full scale, but YMMV.

pannhead
02-17-2004, 18:34
same here as UCDAVIS.. i have autometer phantom gauges in a triple pillar and a steering column gauge pod where i have my AIT gauge....there are alot better quality gauges out there,although none of my autometer gauges have died out,so far good results for the amount of money spent

FinSub97
02-23-2004, 12:13
Excelente and thanks guys...

After posting my question I noticed that there were multiple threads concluding the same ranges you mentioned. So I guess the lesson to be learnt here is to browse before making yourself stupid.

Maybe another lesson from you both is the importance of EGT. The only thing that intimidates me about EGT is the laborous mounting. Or should I know better?

Jari

Beedee
02-23-2004, 13:36
No such thing as a stupid question here Jari, That's what the DP are all about, helping each other to understand. I am a mechanic and I am amazed by the quality of the information that comes out of these posts.
Keep it coming guys :D :D :D

pannhead
02-23-2004, 15:57
dont be scared of the EGT gauge installation..the probe is installed by drilling a hole in the crossover or downpipe (varying opinions re locations :rolleyes: )and installing probe which is secured with a glorified hose clamp..the rest of the install is like any other gauge...i strongly recommend EGT gauge and everyone is here at the DP are ready to help ;)