PDA

View Full Version : Sol-D, Kennedy, or Heath FSD?

arveetek
10-13-2005, 17:10
I need a new PMD, and I'm trying to decide which route to go.

All three choices are nearly the same money, with the Sol-D a few dollars cheaper than Kennedy's PMD kit, and Kennedy's kit a few dollars cheaper than Heath's.

I like the fact that Sol-D is an aftermarket design, built solely to help cure the notorious FSD problems. I would like to move it farther away from the engine heat, though, and away from the intake manifold.

Kennedy has the complete kit that moves the GM FSD to a cooler location on the firewall.

Heath's kit moves the GM FSD to an even cooler place, under the vehicle.

While Heath's kit probably keeps the FSD the coolest, it seems to me that water intrusion would be a problem. Yes? No?

I'm leaning toward's Kennedy's remote mount kit, because it's better than stock, and should keep the FSD dry.

However, it looks like Sol-D's reviews lately have been great.

I'm torn...which way to go?

Casey

AndyL
10-13-2005, 17:16
Sol-D is what I would buy next. If you stick with the stock FSD go to the coolest place, Heath's I would say.

20050627|3|008327|000043|65.183.99.20
10-13-2005, 17:46
From my reading, I wish I had gone Sol-D. I figure it's just a matter of time before I replalce the PMD again.

rjwest
10-14-2005, 02:53
SOL'D does not need to be remoted,

ok mounted to air intake cover, Call/ Email SOL'D

This is not a product reccomendation..!!!!!!

I presently running a SOL'D for data,

Have the remote mounted OEM PMD also...

PLUS several spare FSD'S...in glove compartment,

SO Far 16K miles on SOL'd, no problems,
rarely see temps at SOL'D above 150 degrees,
with very occasional 180-190 here in Florida..

( More data to follow , after Maine Trip, this Sat, HUNTING SEASON !!! )

Some Ign noise in radio on weak stations,
Does start better though...

arveetek
10-14-2005, 07:06
After much research and a few phone calls (Thanks JK! Thanks RJ!), I have decided to go with Kennedy's FSD cooler kit, and here's why:

1. Quality. There's no debating that Kennedy's FSD cooler has been around longer, and that his electrical connectors are of the highest quality. Heath's connectors are of a lesser quality. Heath's connection to his cooler plate is not known, while the FSD cooler heat transfer pad has been upgraded and seems to be much better.

2. Location. While the Sol-D seems to be working fine on the intake manifold, the further away from engine heat the better, in my mind. Mounting the FSD cooler on the firewall should provide the coolest operation possible while protecting it from road grime, dirt, salt, and rain. I'm just not sure that mounting this highly sensitive electronic device down underneath the vehicle is a good idea. Sure, it may have a lot of cool air, but it will also have a lot of dirt, salt, road grime, and rain subjected to it as well.

3. Ease of replacement. If the Sol-d should fail, it would require hooking up the standard PMD still on the pump to keep driving (not easy to get to), or another replacement Sol-d. A standard FSD would not fit the Sol-d's heat sink. However, with Kennedy's cooler, a standard FSD could be swapped in quickly and easily, without much fuss and not needing to mess with the stock FSD still on the pump. I'm not sure that Heath's FSD could be replaced just as easy or not. It could be.

4. Time-tested reliability. While the stock Standadyne FSD is not known for being the best engineered piece of equipment, it is known to last when removed from the IP and to a cooler location. The Sol-d just hasn't been out long enough to know for sure. It may well turn out to be a really good replacement option, but the initial bad batch of units makes me question whether it's as reliable as could be, or if it was tested as much as claimed. The bad units were attributed to a stock of wrong parts, but that's a serious mistake. Only time will tell. And right now, the stock FSD on a remote cooler is the time proven winner.

I will say that Heath's cooler tempted me because of the warranty....7 years. Sol-d's unit carries 5 years. Kennedy offers no warranty. However, the above reasons outweighed the warranty issue in my mind.

These are my opinions after much research, so take them as you will! :D

Casey

Kennedy
10-14-2005, 09:10
Just wanted to pint out a few things here. With my extension, the FSD cooler from Beta can be mounted most anywhere desired. We have seen excellent results with this cooler since the release of the new transfer pad. I always hated the OE pad and used dielectric grease, but this new peel/stick pad as I call it has worked extremely well. I also snug the transistor nuts a wee bit prior to install as they are very loose.

As for warranty, what can I say? Stanadyne only honors warranty for their parts if instaled by a Stanadyne authorized service shop and in the case of the PMD it must be installed on the injection pump. That said, myself and my contacts have NEVER had a single PMD covered by warranty. Any warranty express or implied will have to be covered by the seller/installer in my experience...

PS I put an FSD cooler with a new driver on my 96 when the cooler was first released. Shortly after this I intercooled my truck. I ran this intake mounted unit for quite some time prior to development of my extension harness and simply moved it to the fenderwell when the harness was released. Last I heard, this unit was still operational on the truck and doing well in the TX heat. Intercooling is a BIG help, and I believe that the upper intake would also be an effective FSD cooler with the one potential being hot soak with engine off...

We appreciate your business Casey!

Robthechitkicker
10-16-2005, 16:56
hey guys...I was just reading through the poll and I'm sure don't have the experience with all the FSD/PMD problems, but after many of the stereo and car electronics installs I have done, I had a thought about remote mounting the PMD under the dash or somewhere else in the cab with decent airflow. also again I really haven't done alot with the PMD's so someone else might know why it can or cannot be done but it was just a thought i was kicking around since everyone wants to get it away from the heat of the motor, and not expose it to the elements like mud, water, roadgrime and whatnot...

Turbine Doc
10-17-2005, 19:24
Well I've been offline for a while here Katrina set us back a little, just getting back up to speed.

This may come off as a little promotional but no less than what has been posted of the Kennedy solutions, my intent is to provide an objective review of the Heath offering that was also asked about; & not an attack Kennedy products which in my opinion are indeed of high quality so please take the following as information as requested of someone who uses a different solution no offense intended.

All mentioned are viable solutions some better than other IMO.

From what I've read here and elsewhere, I have not tried the RemarR-Q myself; but from reports it looks very promising, I do have a early model Kennedy/Beta with older heat xfer pad, (I think, but am not sure which came with it new or old pad in 2000) it's mounted in the Kennedy recommended location drivers side fender, just in event the Heath unit leaves me stranded.

The early Kennedy/Beta which I tried at first and still have; was better than OEM location from fact it was easier to access when screws needed tightening even after running with IC installed, and seemed to last longer than OEM see Points to Ponder post in archived posts for my reports with data points of service in that location , it wasn't/isn't a fix & forget it option IMO (maybe new style pad is the difference).

Remarq Q looks to be the closest to final fix & forget one, I just don't know yet still needs more time on unit for my satisfaction. As to the Heath solution, many myself included, report that so far it has been the best solution for them, if someone who actually owns one has different opinion please add your experience good or bad.

I have not been stranded once since install, nor have I had to retorque any screws (epoxied to plate can't access anyway), with it mounted on my bumper direct just behind the liscence plate it has been in high speed wind driven rain, snow, road salt, hot or cold no problems yet when driven in Ms summer & Va winter & mountain driving.

Lately it has been submerged in both salt and fresh water thanks to my new interior decorator known as Katrina's Gulf Coast remodeling service. :D it also did a little under mud service on the bumper, so I'm not concerned with the elements there at all.

It uses the same OEM style Weather PAK connectors as every other solenoid or driver under the hood and body from frame rail fuel pump, to trans sensors and 4x4 shifter servo, so if those connectors work there I sleep well or drive rather not worrying about elements causing any problem.

So far over 1 year no hiccups; the cooler plate connector is an OEM style connector, which plugs into a Stanadyne standard driver, that has been epoxied to the cooler plate.

That said the other end of the Heath harness is less than professional looking, but fully functional, it comes with heat shrink to seal off from elements, which is a standard multi product practice in multiple electrical devices sold on the market today pin & socket connectors also standard in many applications.

Kennedy's harness on the IP end is far superior, but comes at a higher cost, but more machineing, mfg work, design etc. is required that adds cost; so the trade off is functional one which it is, vs more robust Kennedy harness which that is, buyer choice makes America great.

I happen to have both, with my Heath one plugged into a Kennedy harness, which gives me a great junction point to plug in my spare if needed (again so far so good) and a place to get some O scope readings.

I havent put on the heat shrink wrap just yet, so even bare exposed that connection hasn't failed. would I run submerged no, probably could with the Kennedy one but IP end is high on engine I got real problems if water gets that high.

As far as warranty issue I'd like to see Remarq match Heath's then if time proves right or even if it doesn't; I'd have the confidence it is The Holy Grail solution for FSD problems.

Until then Heath for me looks to be as good as any other option, and for Stanadyne warranty coverage I don't recall either in conversation with Heath folks nor on the web site where it was implied that Stanadyne warrants Heath solution; Heath does, evidently they believe in their products ability to deliver as advertised.

Again someone directly dealing with a failed Heath unit please weigh in, maybe I'm wrong.

[ 10-18-2005, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: tbogemirep ]

Eddys
10-18-2005, 09:22
Just my opinion concerning the PMD/FSD.
I have experienced a few bad PMD on my dad's Blazer and decided to replace it with an external mount. I went with the SOL-D and the reason for me is I wanted something different than the Stanadyne. The SOL-D is a redesigned PMD compared to the Stanadyne. It uses different electronic components which produce less heat which was one of my deciding factor. On my trip in late June from Montreal Canada to Disney Florida and then Miami for a couple of weeks the SOL-D never gave a problem. The Blazer has now about 12K miles on it with the SOL-D.
I am working on making a plug connected to the existing PMD on the pump which will be routed out of the intake which I can connect to the OE PMD harness in case of failure with the SOL-D. This will make it easier to plug instead of pluging back on the IP.

Barry Nave
10-19-2005, 01:45
While the Sol-D seems to be working fine on the intake manifold, the further away from engine heat the better, in my mind.

The SOL-D does not make the heat as the FSD does. Really runs alot cooler :cool:

rjwest
10-19-2005, 08:13
I intalled under dash, cooled with AC air, ran
50k miles, noproblems, now testing sol'd

about 13 k miles since april... noproblems..

Barry Nave
10-20-2005, 01:52
intalled under dash, cooled with AC air, ran
50k miles, noproblems, now testing sol'd

Though the SOL-D is on the intake,yes?

arveetek
10-20-2005, 06:55
I installed the Kennedy FSD cooler kit yesterday, and it was a real piece of cake to install. Took all of 30 minutes. It plugged right in, and the included extension harness was the perfect length for mounting the cooler in front of the driver's side battery, in front of a large hole in the radiator support that should allow outside air to flow over the cooler.

Initial results show that the stalling problem has been cured.

I'm very happy with the fit, finish, installation time, and results.

Thanks John!

Casey

jan5
10-20-2005, 16:56
6,000 mi on the heath unit and all is ok. no icon for crossed fingers.