PDA

View Full Version : Why boost controller?

99gmccrew
06-08-2004, 17:34
I'm happy to say that I just installed an intercooler on my 99 C3500. I cant tell you how glad I am. The truck seems to have a lot more power. I'll know for sure after this weekend when I do some towing. My question is for you veterans out there. Do I need a boost controller and if so why. How much boost should I use with my setup? If I get a manual boost controller will it throw codes? All my mods are listed. Help! :eek:

Billman
06-08-2004, 17:58
I would say you DO need a boost controller now.

With the intercooler now added, more boost can be made without worries of high IAT's. Intake air temperatures should not go higher than 30* above ambient temp. Added bonus is lower EGT's.

I run a similar set-up. I also tow 12k. I run boost to aprox. 13-14lbs.

Best modification I did. Intercooler that is.

With the electronic controller, nothing else needed. With the manual controller, something else needed to prevent 'overboost' codes.

All preference from their.

whatnot
06-08-2004, 20:17
Originally posted by Billman:

With the electronic controller, nothing else needed. With the manual controller, something else needed to prevent 'overboost' codes.

All preference from their. Yes, you will need the electronic either way so get it first. If you don't like the way it works or want to get rid of the vacuum pump then get the mechanical after.

Kennedy
06-09-2004, 05:59
Electronic boost control will increase boost AND keep the computer happy. On the 94-5 Eprom, we can just program for 14+ psi and no need for controller of any kind.

EVENTUALLY, we'll have the flash programming truly finalized and will not likely need the boost control either.

Adding a boost control to the truck in question should yield a great improvement!

Marty Lau
06-10-2004, 08:39
Originally posted by whatnot:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Billman:

All preference from their. Yes, you will need the electronic either way so get it first. If you don't like the way it works or want to get rid of the vacuum pump then get the mechanical after. </font>[/QUOTE]I agree with what not, if your vaccum system is working and you not ready yet for a ECM reflash I would go with JK Electronic boost fooler it's reasonable cost, if you have vaccum problems then go either fix it or go mechcanical and remove vaccum pump. With just a mechincal now you will may only be able to bump boost to around 8-9 psi with out throwing codes, so like John says you will need something to keep computer happy to get a decent boost increase.

TurboDiverArt
06-12-2004, 07:39
Originally posted by 16ga SxS:
[/qb]I agree with what not, if your vaccum system is working and you not ready yet for a ECM reflash I would go with JK Electronic boost fooler it's reasonable cost, if you have vaccum problems then go either fix it or go mechcanical and remove vaccum pump. With just a mechincal now you will may only be able to bump boost to around 8-9 psi with out throwing codes, so like John says you will need something to keep computer happy to get a decent boost increase. [/qb][/QUOTE]

Heck, for $90 it's money well spent. After I replace the stock exhaust and start towing the racecar around I'll decide if I really need more power. If I do then a fooler is in order. If not I'll just leave well enough alone.

Being a racer of turbo cars for more than 15 years that little boost knob calls to me to be turned to the right all the time. I usually comply having the ride of a lifetime and then end up blowing something up. "Turn me to the right, turn me to the right." There is goes again.... :rolleyes: Better leave well enough alone or I

99gmccrew
06-16-2004, 16:28
Thanks everyone for the advise. I got the jk boost controller and it really works well. Does anyone know if this will lower my fuel milage with the higher boost levels? It seems like it probably would in my opinion.

joed
06-17-2004, 06:10
I've been running a boost controller for 3 years now, and I like it as well. For everyday driving, I find it helps with lower throttle settings as it takes less throttle to make boost. This was especially noticeable when I added the intercooler as it creates a little more turbo lag.

To answer your mileage question, I haven't really noticed any difference. I don't think the computer gives it more fuel because there is more boost, if anything the mixture is a little leaner with the higher boost. I would think mileage should be a little higher since a little less throttle is needed, provided you don't take advantage of the new found power ;) .

Joe.