PDA

View Full Version : New PMD/FSD resistor ?

Clark's diesel
10-15-2005, 06:01
Just replaced my PMD with a new one and the FSD Heat-Sync from SS diesel supply. I don't know the value of the old resistor, (it's still on the pump most likely a #5). I put in a #9 resistor with the new FSD module. If the value of the resistor is changed, will the ECM notice the difference and set a code? If I have to, I could probably get a mirror and a dental pick to try and get the old one out. Thanks for the help.

MTTwister
10-15-2005, 08:37
Eventually the ECM checks for the resistor - not sure when or why. I believe The highter resistor "tells" it to feed a little more fuel. Only code set is when it discovers that the resistor isn't there. Some have run for quite a while before the ECM checks for it.

Clark's diesel
10-15-2005, 09:00
Is there anything I can do so the ECM learns the value and likes what it finds instead of setting a code? I wonder what code would it set? If I knew that, I could just have the codes cleared every time it checks for the resistor. Thanks for the input.

JohnC
10-15-2005, 09:08
It won't set a code unless tyhe resistor is missing. Performing TDC offset learn also reads the resistor.

Clark's diesel
10-15-2005, 09:35
So if I'm understanding this right, I'm a ok until I want to change my timing. My truck is bone stock except for the 3" exhaust. It seems that a lot of guys are changing their timing to 1.94. Isn't that pretty aggressive? What benefits will one get by doing this? I sure don't want to be one of those cracked block stories. Thanks for the help.

Clark's diesel
10-15-2005, 19:44
Bump

JohnC
10-17-2005, 09:36
Originally posted by Turbo Powered:
Bump Hmmm, awful impatient...

The #9 resistor won't set a code no matter what happens. The PCM may read the new value at some time in the future, maybe never, but regardless, there's nothing to be safe from. If it reads the new value it stores it and uses it going forward. The only problem is if there is no resistor present when the PCM checks. Even then nothing bad happens.

I am not aware of any evidence to suggest that TDC offset of -1.94 is harmfull.