View Full Version : Front end sagging

95-6.5
02-18-2004, 06:43
95 6.5td 3/4ton 2wd.
The rear of the truck is a lot higher than the front.The front is almost the same height as a stock 1/2ton.The rear is a LOT higher.If you stand back and look at it you can really see how the front sags..How can i make the truck level or raise the front??My brother has the same year,same truck only diff is the color and his truck sits nice and level.Any ideas????

piersbc
02-18-2004, 10:38
Is there a lift kit or leveling kit out there for diesels? I keep running into brick walls. I only want 2.5 to 3" of lift but I can't find a lift/leveling kit for diesels. Any ideas out there?

Gapper_ca
02-18-2004, 11:25
it could be the torsion bars. they may be turned down and there for lowering the frontend. you can turn them up but the more that you do the more roll yuo can getat times.

95-6.5
02-18-2004, 12:57
Mines 2w not 4w....

Gapper_ca
02-19-2004, 08:22
so there is no torsion bars on a 2wd? ok thought that they would all be the same.
have they replaced the rear suspesion? or front?

95-6.5
02-19-2004, 09:56
No suspension is all stock.
As far ass i know there are no torsion bars on the front of 2wd's.I had thought about buying some springs for a duramax 4x4 and using them or using springs from a older Z71,to see if that would help raise it back up.

markrinker
02-19-2004, 10:10
If you have coil springs, I would look there first. Call NAPA and ask for Moog replacements for your application.

Stock coil springs from GM are commonly undersized and wear out prematurely. Torsion bars can 'wear out' as well, but I've only seen them break after being over tightened.

95-6.5
02-19-2004, 11:29
should i ask for the stock springs or should i ask for some that are for a 3500 or even a 4x4??
I would think the 4x4

m-keith
02-19-2004, 11:49
I have the same problem with my 95 C2500 2WD 'burban, but not quite as extreme as you describe. It was this way when I bought it, & I wasn't sure if the front springs were worn or if this was normal ride height for a 2WD 6.5. When I notice another 3/4 ton 'burban around town, it's always a 4WD; so I haven't really had anything to compare with.

Anyway, for our body style of truck it's my understanding that coil springs were used for 2WD & torsion bars were used for 4WD. So, coil springs for a 4WD don't exist. Starting with the body style change in '00, both 2 & 4WD use torsion bars.

For mine, if it turns out that my ride height is correct, I plan to check with some local off roading shops & some spring manufacturers to see if I can source a pair of coil springs that will give me a level ride height without adversely affecting handling.

95-6.5
02-19-2004, 13:08
I had though about buying new springs and then putting coil spacers underneath the springs.that should raise it about 1.5 inch.Anybody done this before.

markrinker
02-19-2004, 14:54
My approach would be to ask for stock replacements for your year/make/model. Moog will give a firmer ride than stock originals.

rjwest
02-19-2004, 16:07
If spring height is measured as stock ( good front end place should be able to tell you ) Be carefull
changing the spring size. Front end was made
to be at a neutral position and work up/down around
this point , any chnage raising front may cause
Front end to not " Drive " correctly and cause wear.
to tires
Some of the " heavy rear GW options cause the
rear to be higher, Levels out when loaded,
Are your rear springs " Stock "., If not may be
easier to remoive 'helper' spring.
or just get a smaler rear spring shackle.

Kidd
02-20-2004, 19:48
I would check to see if you can get heavy duty springs for your truck, they will be the same length as the standard, just a little stiffer.
I always order heavy duty fronts when I spec out a truck.
K.D.

C.K. Piquup
02-21-2004, 05:54
The diesels always sit lower than gassers,2wd/4wd.How many miles on the truck?How many on your brother`s?Is his diesel?I wonder if diesel springs are different.You could ask for 1ton diesel coils.See how parts are listed by comparing #s.If you do go to spacers,stay away from the type that fits within the coils(1/2ass),try to find type that fits at upper mount to give you full spring travel.

Dewey Faircloth
02-21-2004, 05:57
Originally posted by m-keith:
I have the same problem with my 95 C2500 2WD 'burban, but not quite as extreme as you describe. It was this way when I bought it, & I wasn't sure if the front springs were worn or if this was normal ride height for a 2WD 6.5. When I notice another 3/4 ton 'burban around town, it's always a 4WD; so I haven't really had anything to compare with.

Anyway, for our body style of truck it's my understanding that coil springs were used for 2WD & torsion bars were used for 4WD. So, coil springs for a 4WD don't exist. Starting with the body style change in '00, both 2 & 4WD use torsion bars.

For mine, if it turns out that my ride height is correct, I plan to check with some local off roading shops & some spring manufacturers to see if I can source a pair of coil springs that will give me a level ride height without adversely affecting handling. You can get some shorter shackles for the back and level your 2500 suburban.Did mine 10 years ago and it looks better.

95-6.5
02-21-2004, 20:49
My brothers truck is the same year with more miles.
mine-130K,his 160K,
Both are 2wd,both are diesel (6.5td)
They are exact copies except for the color.
HIs is abot a full 1 1/2 higher in the front.The rears are the sam height...