PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler location

Spindrift
06-13-2004, 13:33
I'm still trying to figure out what method of charge-air cooling will be best for me. I've been doing some research on air-to-air and air-to-water intercoolers. Based upon what I've learned, the air-to-water IC is now out of the running.

Not being overly concerned with the front grille of my truck (I have a full grille guard that partially hides the OEM plastic grille), it seems that I could cut out the center section and locate a more efficient air-to-air intercooler in this location. I say more efficient because I could spec a much thinner IC (2.25" core thickness) with the amount of space that exists at the grille front. It appears that most 6.5 owners on this forum are using the "big" IC. This unit has a 4.5" core thickness, if I'm not mistaken.

With a grille mount IC on my '98 Suburban, the IC would be in front of the oil and tranny coolers, then the A/C condenser, and finally the radiator. I believe the proper design for a front mounted IC is to locate the IC between the A/C condenser and the radiator. Will my proposed location adversely affect the A/C condenser to such a degree that I should scrap any idea of mounting the IC in this location?

Spindrift
06-14-2004, 04:32
Was this an issue for the Power Project truck?

Kennedy
06-14-2004, 05:53
In terms of more efficient, keep in mind that the undermounted intercooler will not affect the OE cooling system, AND keeps IAT down top approx 120

cruzer
06-14-2004, 10:05
I would think you would want the IC getting clean cool air. Isn't the condenser putting out some heat?

Spindrift
06-15-2004, 06:14
jk,

Are you aware of any other vehicle manufacturer that uses a rail mounted IC similar to what you recommend for the 6.5?

Jim H.
06-15-2004, 18:01
Since you are replacing a solid piece with the intercooler, I would think that in addition to the cooler air from the radiator (due to reduced load on the cooling system) the additional air flow around the engine would help keep accessories and other underhood parts cooler. Is it obvious I'm talking myself into buying one of these things?

By the way JK, I used your web site this weekend to order something and it works very well, can't say that about everyone's.